Thursday, April 13, 2006

Strange Day

Today was rather strange - it wasn’t raining. California has had one of the wettest winter/springs on record. It’s like living in Seattle. You just automatically grab your raincoat as you head out the door. There just isn’t anywhere else for the water to go so things are sliding. Not us thankfully. We have rocks in Grass Valley so most of the time we stay put. When I want to plant anything in the garden I need a pickax. But today, today it was sunny and warm – high 60’sF. Of course, it’s supposed to rain for the next few days but then it is supposed to stop. I’ll believe it when things dry out.

I decided to see if I could get one last day of skiing in before the snow melted. I drove to a big meadow called Bear Valley because the small river that runs through it. This is the first time Omar would be out in the snow and I was curious to how he would do. He’s only 13 lbs. and just turned one. He turned out to be a regular snow bunny. He leapt and played, ran over to sniff things, poked his paws at various bugs and ate a cricket. So much of the meadow had melted that we had to cross small streams a few times. The swallows were starting to nest in the boxes along the fence posts so it must be spring at last. I will miss the snow but am ready to start my seeds and eat fresh tomatoes in a few months.

The husband of our company last weekend arrived with a large box of precut squares of cotton that he was sewing together to make quilt tops for premature babies at Stanford hospital. I offered to do one 5 x 7 quilt of 6” squares. I thought the finished piece looked so pretty and bright that I took a photo. I ended up standing on the dining room table to get a good overhead shot. Now I thought, I can get back to knitting my sweater jacket. Then the Yarn Harlot’s latest book arrived and I had to read at least some of it. This is the book I will be clutching when she comes to Berkeley in August.

Last night I wasn’t sleepy so I went through part of my fabric stash and found something to make my new pants pattern with. I purchased it so many years ago that I can’t be sure what the fiber content is. I did a hand wash test (I think it might be wool) and it has shrunk a quarter inch. I washed my square again to see if shrinks anymore.

I’m having a hard time staying away from my favorite yarn shop. I can’t afford it. I have too many projects started. I have a big stash. Still, it would be nice to see what’s new for spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home