Tuesday, April 27, 2010

PALS


I am just back from a few days in the bay area. I made a new friend. I'd met her before but we had never actually hung out.






This is Blanca. You can also call her Boo-Boo. She's a hamster, and I admit to not remembering what kind. She belong to my friend Kate. Blanca is adorable, small and totally white with pink eyes. She looks a lot like a meringue.


I did the long drive for several reasons. One was a routine doctor's check up and the other was to see the Cartier show at the Legion of Honor.


Since you can also visit the de Young for the same $20 we did so. There was a floral show going on that was a lot of fun. They were supposed to reflect or complement a painting of the floral designer's choice.





Really big vases.





A horse I guess made up, literally, of fodder.



The Cartier show was stunning. Lots and lots of Super Bling. After awhile though the mind reeled. Oh, yet another gorgeous piece made up of thousands of tiny diamonds, emeralds, coral, fill in the gemstone of your desire. Is it lunch time yet?


WIDE BLUE YONDER





Kate has been talking about the houses sliding down the cliffs of Pacifica. Seems they do that pretty frequently yet somehow builders still get permits to build them.





You have to admit, it's a great view. Imagine yourself standing with drink of choice watching the sun set. Then again, it might be the last thing you do.





For some reason after the permits, the building, the sliding, the notice to move out (usually short and brutal - Run!) people feel compelled to pour millions of dollars into trying to keep a sandstone cliff from sliding down into the ocean. Big Machinery Will Not Save You. The Ocean doesn't give a hoot about money. Hear the laughing? Or is that the sound of dirt sliding downhill.





Besides, living next to the ocean does this. Remember, this building complex isn't all that old.





At least one resident has a sense of humor. Or had.



I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS





Speaking of having a sense of humor....



I have been happily churning out the second wedding cowl and am close to finishing. Sunday we popped into Kate's car to run errands. I started knitting, and...



After a very short while it became apparent that the skein of yarn somehow didn't make it into the vehicle. Somewhere a squirrel or raccoon is lining his or her nest with some lovely Manos silk blend in a delightful shade of blue. I am SO glad I bought a third skein.





So, onto the backup knitting (always travel with A.Lot.of.Knitting). My demo mitered hanging dishtowel for the talk I'm giving about knitting - to a group of sewers.


RAIN




After a rather nice weekend of mostly sun it is raining again. Ollie thinks the couch is a Very Nice Place to hang out. I agree.

I forgot to mention that I passed on the Saroyan scarf to my friend Mia and managed not to get a photo of her wearing it. Mia? Any chance? It looked really good on her too.

2 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger The Swamp Fox said...

She is an albino Campbell's Dwarf Hamster. I do like the merengue, though.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I'm getting REALLY behind on blog posts. Love the hamster (cute pic of you too!). I'm amused by the cliffside houses. Same thing happens down here. People cling tenaciously to their ocean views... until they get washed away.

Yipes about losing your Manos! I'm glad you had enough yarn to finish.

That dishtowel is startlingly pretty. What yarn did you use? Qantas won't allow knitting needles on their planes (sigh) so I am taking a Tunisian crochet washcloth project next week instead. They better not refuse a crochet hook.

LOVE that day of the dead shirt. It's unbelievably cool.

BTW your Fleece Artist cardi is gorgeous. LOVE the color and the !!!buttons!!! are amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home