Thursday, October 20, 2011

FALL TOUR - 2011




Almost every year we load up the small dog, pack some snacks and cold drinks, and do a big loop over the mountain from Grass Valley through Truckee, Sierraville, Sierra City and other small towns. The scenery is gorgeous with the trees in their fall colors, and the lakes and rivers glowing in the sunlight. This year was no exception.



As we drove into Sierraville we came across this piece of whimsy. Someone quite creative and talented with working with metal.






One husband for scale purposes.




Gold Lake



One small dog.



KNITTING

I have one buttonhole and 1.5 inches left before the every way wrap is done. Hopefully by tonight. It's around 59" long and who knows how wide. It is soft and very warm and I love it very much. I had thought I would be pushed to have enough yarn but ended up with 1.5 skeins leftover. Perhaps a hat or scarf.





I signed up for a Noni bag class but backed out. I bought some DK weight Madelinetosh with my store credit to make another version of the vine leaf cardi. I love the first one I knit in a pink Handmaiden but I'd like something more basic to go with more of what we can laughingly call "my wardrobe". ~giggle~


I continue to either frog or finish my UFO's. Next up: the uneven cable vest. Only a few inches of the front remain to be knit and then the sewing together, the collar and the edges of the armholes. Do-able, right? By this year? I think so.



THE GARDEN



After one day of heavy rain and a couple more of grey and overcast we have flipped into our Indian Summer and let me tell you, California does Indian Summers like no place else. Our days run into the mid to high 70's and even low 80's with the nights dropping down into the high 50's and low 60's. Everything is bathed in a lovely golden glow. Without much warning we'll wake up to some serious fall weather but for now it's heaven - shorts and t-shirts and oh yes, flip flops.




The fine weather is also perfect for a major overhaul of the flower garden so I'm doing a lot of digging and moving around. Hopefully, the new arrangement and new plants will grow to resemble something like the image I have inside my brain. Or not.



Heirloom dessert apples (Spitzenburg - small but yummy).

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Suzy said...

the apples just look yummy! The last of the season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home