Friday, August 12, 2011

THE KNITTING

There has been a small amount of success. I finally picked up the Every Way Wrap again and now feel very comfortable working from the chart. It progresses and I think it will be a very nice thing to have when the weather turns cold.

Malabrigo on size 5's. Being a single ply the cables are not popping as much as I like but it's a nice yarn and will keep me warm.



Continuing to work on my UFO's I picked Pimpelliese back up. The photo doesn't do justice to the deep purple of the Tosh sock. I have had nothing but problems with this pattern and it has all been me - the pattern is fine. I just can't read. After doing the entire increase section I realized I must have done something wrong because it was short and steep. Now I can't get the decreases to match. To make life even MORE interesting I found a big hole back near where I started my decreases. Thinking it was a dropped stitch I dug out a small crochet hook but found that the yarn had broken in three places. No sign of cat attacks or Alien Intervention so who knows. I frogged then reknit only to remember (it had been about a year since I had last worked on it and I have problems remembering what I did today) about the decrease/increase situation. For now it goes back into its bag. We need to take a time out again.



A much happier situation: my winnings from Eat.Sleep.Knit. So luscious. I wish I had 15 of them. The damage I could do.


THE SEWING


Um, kind of the same as the knitting. Win some, scratch your head with others.



I made another pair of summer pj's and I am very pleased. That is, I looked at the print before I laid out the pattern pieces and said to myself, "Remember! It's a directional print!" And then I completely forgot about it. I had enough fabric to do cut singles but not on a fold so my pj top has a seam down the front. Livable. I am just tickled with the prints. I feel like I'm 10 years old again. Cute little animals!


I have been fussing with adjusting a princess seam on a dress because there is a bit of a gap at the armhole and it is just not working out so that too is taking a Time Out.

Awwww


Isn't she cute? Then again notice the little pieces of torn paper. Paper from patterns!



ODDS AND ENDS

I am making sugar skulls for the Day of the Dead. Kate and I plan to have a decorating party in the fall. It should be a messy but fun time. I've had the mold for years so am thrilled to be finally justifying it taking up space in a kitchen cupboard. It's an overall easy process but the amount of water you put in the sugar and meringue is critical.


OUT AND ABOUT





Hubby and offspring have been off riding with friends for the last week. It's been very quiet at Chez Earin's. It's been wonderful! That said, I am eager to have him back. Looking at this photograph and I have to wonder at the difference in their attire.


I have a surprise for him which I'll blog about next time.

THE GARDEN

I discovered this morning that a gopher has started to wreck havoc in the garden so I must go set traps and destroy it. Five cats lounging round the place and I'm setting traps. I must be feeding them too much.


The garden still isn't producing a lot in the way of tomatoes but enough to enjoy most days. I am getting a lot of squash and green beans.



I eat some steamed and I make dilled, spicy beans with the rest. And give lots away too.




I continue to experiment with making gherkin pickles. So far: nice but not fantastic. The quest continues.


I've had about 5 heirloom cantaloupes and they were amazing. I am waiting for more to ripen.




Since our citrus plants were finally producing we decided to dig them up and put them in pots. (Really. Okay, it was to have them in a area we could protect from snow and frost.) After a rocky start and one death they have settled down.

It's a nice place to hang out and look beautiful.

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a rough year for tomatoes. I don't know anyone who is getting much in the way of ripe ones. I just got my first ripe tomatoe this weekend. The plants are huge and happy though.

I love the skulls.

Mia

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Suzy said...

Olive and Opal look so regal. Are they supervising your trapping of gophers? Let's hope the gophers stay out of the raised beds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home