Friday, July 15, 2011

LEARNING TO LOVE KNITS



(THE SEWN KIND THAT IS)




Recently I have been on a sewing jag. I love knitting, and I love my garden but heck, I feel like sewing. With a little gentle nudging from The Enabler I am again trying knit fabric.



First off knit fabric, like knitting garments, is different each and every time. You need to come to terms with just what the properties are of the fabric you're working with and adapt. More or less stretch. Stretch one way? Both ways? Drape? Once you get the details worked out knit fabric is wonderful to work with.



At the sew-in The Enabler made up a very cool t-shirt that I deeply wanted to try for myself. So, off to the ether to order the pattern; it's an independent line (J. Stern Designs) so the local store did not carry it. It came flying into my mailbox then it was a matter of finding stash that would work for fitting purposes. As is my want I had various problems but they were resolved with relative ease. Now I need to find some super special fabric to make it up in again.


WE CONTINUE TO REMODEL

(It may never actually end)


I covered a piece of foam board with fabric to make the a/c window a little less utilitarian.



YARN


I recently became a little older and I had promised myself that I'd treat myself to some yarn. I've been A.Very.Good.Girl and staying on my yarn diet. I came across a pattern that I really liked, Soay, (a Ravelry link), that I might do a KAL with a girlfriend. I mean, sooner or later I'll turn back into a knitting demon. It's just going to happen.



Then again, I also treated myself to three new sewing feet for my machine, Lily. A pin tuck foot, a blind zipper foot, and a free motion quilting foot. I expect to get a lot of use right away from the last one. I have a Patrick Lose design I want to make up as a wall hanging along with three baby bath blankets, a placemat for Omar to eat off of, and a larger placemat for the cat food area. I'm on a roll here folks! I may need to get less sleep.






Sports weight, superwash merino from Madelinetosh, colorway, "Byzantine"

I bought it from Eat.Sleep.Knit and what a fun place to shop. You get little gifts (1st mile of the Yarn Marathon is now complete!), and I won a skein of Squooshy with the included lotto card. It just makes you feel special.




IN THE MEANTIME


The Garden!



There are vegetables galore growing and ripening. I already have a bag of zukes looking for homes. Email me, I'll send you some - they're organic!



The just for the joy of it part is doing very nicely too.





Hanging begonias.




Rudbeckia




Another type of rudbeckia. Love the green centers.




The pond area. Sadly, Mr. Frog has moved on. I suspect he went looking for love. That or the heron who comes around now and again ate him. I'll go with the first part, he was a very careful bullfrog. I miss him and his big croak.





The daylilies are out in force.




A Western bluebird is feeling broody. Good luck. Watch out for Opal.


SPEAKING OF....




She is just worn out watching me sew.

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous The Enabler said...

The knit top turned out lovely. It looks really nice. Good Job! Now that you've started, I bet you have a slew of stylish shirts in next to no time. Knits zip up pretty fast on the serger!

Opal looks so...relaxed. That draped tail...and all those cones of thread!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home