Tuesday, September 19, 2006

FALL ARRIVES

We're into our Indian summer and it's wonderful. Nice warm days without the dreadful heat and the evenings are cooling off but not yet chilly. I'm seeing a lot of this... as hubby makes sure our house is ready for the coming rains. He had the cutest knees.It's been time to repaint the house for some time now. With surprisingly little difficulty we've agreed upon a color. This is pretty remarkable - actually - exceptional - since it's a green. Well, two greens - one for the house and one for the trim. Hubby does not like greens. After we moved here we did a lot of exploring around the area and we came across a house done in very natural, oak-y greens. So when the time came to make a decision we went back, eyeballed the house and headed to the hardware store and picked out paint chips. Then we sat outside the house in our car and held up samples. Finally we just went and knocked on their door. Alas, no one answered but I left a note and I received a call a few hours later. They had poured us out some of the paint and told us where they bought it. Nice! Here's just a little of the trim in the new color. Goodbye yucky blue.I've done one experimental wrist warmer and well, I learned a lot. It tends to roll to the side so the bands don't line up and for some reason that really bothers me. I ended up crocheting the connecting band. I played around with doing crochet on the edges but frogged it. I have an idea about adapting/shrinking the Irish Hiking scarf pattern so that will be my next experiment with wrist warmers.I have found myself really drawn to the Mason-Dixon log cabin blanket. I picked up some green (hmmm, I think I'm in a green phase) Rowan cotton by accident (didn't realize it was cotton) during my trip to see the Yarn Harlot. I've done the first rectangle of 20 stitches cast on and 24 rows of garter stitch. I like it. Now I need more Rowan. It will be an easy project that I can work on when I have company or am just plain brain dead but still wanting to knit.

RANDOM GARDEN PHOTOS
The sedums are starting to bloom. I had these plants years ago and gave my friend Lynda some cuttings. I left them behind when I moved and years later (and after she had moved several times) she gave me cuttings. Life is so circular.

A bouquet of zinnias. Do I need to say more?

1 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Love the zinnias. And the new paint, too.. but then I do love green.

I was just eyeing the Log Cabin pattern last night, but I think I'd lose my mind as it grew. Maybe if I could just make smaller Log Cabin squares and assemble them together...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home