Friday, September 01, 2006

READY FOR THE COLD, COLD WINTER

Ah, the Irish Hiking Scarf is done. This was a easy cable scarf that was fast and fun. I was able to just knit away without needing the pattern. The hardest decision was just how long was "long". I knew I had over 110 extra yards of yarn. I used Classic Elite Inca Print Alpaca (no cute colorway name just the color number 4652) on size nine bamboo needles. The alpaca was so very soft and just a joy to knit. The only thing I would do over is use shorter needles. Mine were way too long and an awfully big temptation to a little kitten. I will be giving this away to a special friend and it's very likely I will knit this again for myself.Speaking of kittens, Otis has discovered one of our two mulch piles. This one is the chipped remains of the two oak trees that came down in march. Just the canopy actually. The rest of the wood has been chopped up and added to our woodpile to keep us warm through the coming winter.
EYE CANDY FRIDAY

This is a local hike a few miles down the road from us. It's handicap accessible and runs up above the South Yuba River. It is well known for the wildflowers that bloom in the spring. One has to be careful while wandering down the path looking through a wildflower book trying to identify things. You could fall over the side. Don't ask me how I know.

Last winter was very wet and there were two large landslides from up above the trail. The road down to Bridgeport where this hike is (The Buttermilk) has been closed till late Oct. while the road is repaired and the hillside stabilized.


RANDOM GARDEN PHOTO
We couldn't wait any longer and picked one of the heirloom melons. It's very much like a yellow watermelon with lots of seeds.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

So what does a melon like that taste like? I've never seen anything like it before.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I can't believe what a big boy Otis has become! And so fast! He looks like he's having fun, too.

Mmm, cute watermelon :-)

And beautiful scarf, of course!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

If I bring the yarn will you teach me to knit the Irish cable scarf? huh? please?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home