Sunday, August 13, 2006

EVEN WHEN...

Even when you're retired the weekends always seem different. I think one of the reasons weekends are shifted from our regular day to day lives is that it is when most of our friends are able to visit. This weekend Kate came up from San Bruno and we had a wonderful time. I met Kate years back when she joined the Morris team I was on, Mayfield Morris and Sword. We also share a deep lust and love for all things Clint. We next plan to meet up in Sept. to go see the Yarn Harlot in Los Altos. (We are very excited!)

Since it is Alfred Hitchcock's birthday we watched several of his movies - Vertigo, Frenzy and part of Psycho, and part of Marnie (not my favorite even though Sean Connery is to die for). Today we unglued our bottoms from the couch (and you were wondering just what that sound was) and went dirt bike riding. Kate rode on the back of hubbie's Honda 650 and I brought up the rear on my 230. Hubby had lowered the seat for me some time back and wow, what a difference it makes to be able to get both feet on the ground. I am usually the one taking photographs but I asked Kate to take one of me. You'd recognize me anywhere, right?

Friday I had two skeins of sock yarn arrive from Sundara. It just made me feel good to open the box and see them nestled there. I whipped out my Laura Bush Vintage Sock book (after winding up one skein on my new swift), checked my gauge (sort of) and did a test run of a few inches on a pair of heeless sleeping socks. I've promised myself that I would finish up a few other things first but I really, really, really wanted to see how the yarn knitted up. It's just a beautiful combination of soft colors and just ideal for the project I have in mind.

RANDOM GARDEN PHOTOS
My heirloom corn from the mid 1860's has come ripe. So far I haven't been that impressed. It seems startchy and gummy. I've decided to let it ripen completely and dry out then I'll try grinding it for corn bread and polenta. I like the whole concept of heirloom varieties but there is sometimes a very good reason why something stopped being grown. Both the heirloom beans and the squash have been non producers. Lots of nice greenery but no beans, no squash. No, it's not from too much fertilizer either.
A red coleus. A few years back I picked a small sprig off of a plant in a nursery and rooted it. It's a nice shade of red that changes dramatically depending on how much light the plant gets. Every fall I take a few cuttings and keep it alive over the winter.


2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the corn is from the 1860s is it any wonder that it's gummy and starchy? Over 100 years to ripen. Maybe it will make good popcorn! Then again, at 146 years old, perhaps it's better suited to being a bludgeon.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Corn type silly! Hmmm, maybe I should come over and fill your car up with popcorn. That will show you! : - )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home