Sunday, September 17, 2006

FINISHED AT LAST The last inch of the second hubby sock is done. I have to say with regret, I do a crappy Kitchener stitch. I watched the video at Knitting Help.com, carefully pausing, doing a couple of purl, knit, purl, purl (or whatever, I've forgotten already) and pretty much got confused by stitch three. My friend Sharon will be up in late October and she does a mighty fine Kitchener so I will just have to watch her again and again till I absorb what should be a fairly straightforward process. Despite my wobbly toe sewing they did turn out pretty well. I don't think I will use this pattern again, the toes are too narrow and square -hubby and I both have rather wide, square feet.
I did a second swatch for the fingerless mitts using the Filatura Di Crosa on size 7's instead of 8's and I like it. It also lost a stitch per inch when I washed and blocked it. My friend Lynda (she who will be getting some fingerless mitts soon) recently took a tumble off of her bicycle and broke her wrist resulting in surgery and a metal plate. The plate will get cold during the winter so I'm working out a patternless pair of wrist warmers. I had the bright idea of having the colored stripe run across instead of down but this morning minus the effects of a glass of wine and paying more attention to my houseguest than to my knitting I realized that the stretch would be better across. I think I can salvage this with knitting another piece or perhaps crocheting a connecting piece. I really only need a couple more inches. Lynda has small hands and wrists. A few years ago I crocheted her a hat and redid it three times till it was small enough. For the wrist warmers I used some of my new Koigu ( I must love her - my Koigue is sacred) done in plain stockinette and the middle is Koigu wrapped with some Ritratto collezione S. Charles - Italian yarn that is 28% mohair, 53% rayon, 10% polyamide and 9% polyester done in a seed stitch. It's laceweight and wraps around the sock weight Koigu very nicely.
Otis is growing to be a big boy. He headed out this morning before we quite realized it and went off into the woods. After finding him following the pathetic cries and after a couple of attempts to entice him in I decided he could find his way back home and he did later in the day.

RANDOM GARDEN PHOTO AND MY DRYER
Fall weather has kicked in quickly. We're now entering into the delicious part of the year - Indian summer. The days are still warm but not really hot and the nights are becoming increasingly cooler. Truckee, which is just over the mountain in Nevada had snow on Friday night.
The dryer? It's broken. The part (motor) is here but the service person isn't able to come out till Thursday. I've already made one visit to the local "Suds 'O' Mat". The only upside was being able to knit uninterrupted.

4 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Yea. I have the wide square feet too. I tend to stop earlier when I'm decreasing on the toes that way they're wider at the seam. Toe up socks seem to fit my feet great though. Maybe that's why I love them so much.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

The hubby socks look great — I can't see the Kitchener problems in the picture, so no one will see them on his feet. I like the photo setting, too!

I don't like the standard Kitchenered toes either, for same reasons as you and Ashley. I need to try Wendy's toe-up, but I like a normal flapped heel — seems to fit my feet better. In the meantime, the French Toe from Nancy Bush seems not too bad, and easy.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Hip-hip Hooray! All hail the completed Hubby Socks. Now, for a nice pic of them on the Hubby Feets.

Koigue, Filatura, Ritratto Collezione. Ah, the speak of knitters. Must be similar to my incessant babbling about lawn, voile, gauze, leno and don't touch that placket!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Ihave about 6 more rows on my last Jaya sock. His birthday is on Wednesday, so it's just in time!

Hey, I got a mention in your blog! I am so flattered!

Can't wait to see you. The house in Auburn is wonderful, but we may not move there. The commute would kill me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home