Tuesday, September 26, 2006

MARY JANES

When waxing poetic about how wonderful fingerless mitts were to knit I made a promise to knit some for Kimberly. Then the subject of Mary Janes came up and I think I muttered another, yeah sure... Well, Wham! O! We hit the yarn store in Sebastopol and Kimberly pipes right up the the owner, "Do you have a pattern for?". Next thing you know we're walking to the pub for lunch and I'm making notes about colors and shoe sizes.

This photo contains several things: My new stash from Sebastopol - two skeins of RY cashcotton DK that I'm trying to use with my otherwise all Rowan wool/cotton log cabin blanket. I was told they should knit up fine together but it feels very different on the needles. I've started worrying that there will be a shrinkage problem once I wash things. So, I will knit a bit of both and then wash and compare. I really don't want to go to all the effort of making a log cabin blanket and have puckers. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On the upper left of the photo is a branch of wild grapes that we picked while out walking the dog along the irrigation canal. They're seedy but delicious. On the far right is a wonderful raw silk shawl that was a gift from Marion. Kimberly took the orange, I took the blue. We take turns each year being the one responsible for bringing booty to the Celtic Festival but we always end up bringing gifts for each other. In the middle is the Mary Janes pattern. I am only teasing about mumbling "sure". I'm thrilled my friends want my handmade presents.

Our dryer is still broken and the estimate is so close to the price of a new one that we'll just buy another. The price pales in comparison to drilling our well deeper at a cost of $24 a foot and very likely at least 500 more feet will be needed. (That's $12,000 if you want to feel faint.) You would think a 5 year old dryer would have lasted longer and/or be more reasonable to repair. Our well is shallow by current standards (200 ft) and we suspect that our new neighbors, whose well is right next to ours and very deep, is somehow involved. They have planted an orchard and done major relandscaping which all lines up with the timeline of our water problems. Who knows. Bottom line. We ain't got a lot of H2O.

While at the Suds O Rama I found this little dinosaur in the far corner by the dryers. I did a check to see that no small child had lost it then stuck it in my pocket. Finders Keepers. To the left of his tail you can see a problem I'm having with the log cabin pattern (I think I've worked out the keeping one stitch on the needle when you turn and start a new block - then again maybe not - stay tuned). If I pick up one more stitch I have one too many and it just doesn't seem right. Maybe the dip disappears when I pick up stitches for the block that runs along that edge. I love easy projects. I find so many ways to do them wrong. : - (

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and these photos are where? Either they're here, and I haven't had enough coffee to see them, or they're missing, in which case for once I am not hallucinating. Then again, mabye I am.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

I see the two photos I posted but blogger was rather grouchy this morning and I had to reboot twice before I could get things to load so who knows. Please let me know if you can't see them.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I see them. The vision has been revealed! All is well with the world. That little dino needs some glitz. He sure would make a cute pin.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I'll bring my Maryjane pattern when I come visit and we can compare. Mine knit up very quickly, but I gave away both pairs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home