Tuesday, October 03, 2006

AFTER THE 3/4/5TH TRY - SUCCESS!

Actually, I think it was only three attempts before I settled on a needle size and worked out the corner turning problems for my log cabin blanket. Okay, there are still a couple of small issues but I think it will all work out with the blocking. Blocking solves most problems. Right?

I am becoming very adept at picking up stitches. I find that going back and tightening/evening out the picked up stitches is giving me a better more even first row. The non Rowan yarn is working well and has given me a larger range of colors and there was no shrinkage when I blocked my first attempt.

Last night when I went to add one of the lighter colors of the non Rowan's the weight of the yarn seems completely off but in better light and after some decent sleep I could see that it was mostly an optical illusion. I don't think I will make a whole blanket but a throw for staying warm under during the long winter months. I'm thinking I can change from a square to a rectangle by adding panels on two ends and all will be well. This is my theory. Notice that the red is now at the center (the heart of the log cabin). Thank you Kimberly.

Thursday we headed up to Lassen Volcanic Park. Instead of going to the main section of the park we went to the southern end which is in the Warner Valley. We had a good time but neither of us found it to be as nice as the main park. No vistas, lots of dust and the forest looked very unhappy. There has been a huge problem with beetles killing the trees so that combined with a policy of no fires to clean out the dead trees and underbrush has left the area looking a bit like Mordor from Lord of the Rings. We hiked through a forest full of dead, dying or just plain sick looking trees. There is a cleanup program underway - there were areas that had been cleaned up and old wood arranged in piles for burning later in the season. I'm wondering if the park is planning on doing some prescribed burning at some point. The steam vents, mud pots and volcanic activity that were reached by hiking several miles were very interesting and worth the hike.
While we were gone the weather turned cold and we even had a light rain fall. Most unusual for this time of year. I went by the local fabric store an bought three pieces of a fine wale corduroy to make pants for this winter.

3 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said...

I find it easier to pick-up stitches with a smaller size needle.
i like the colours of the blanket.
Lindy

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't block garter stitch, you'll totally ruin it. That said, the square looks fine. I love the colors. And Lindy's advice is right on the money. Smaller is always better.

Besides, ya gotta have mistakes in every piece you make. I do. Even if no one else knows they are there, it's humbling.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Looking pretty! I don't think I have the stamina to log cabin, myself (I get bored with garter stitch quickly), but I admire others' efforts :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home