Thursday, October 05, 2006

IT'S TIME TO PLAY -SECRET PAL 9!!!

Below is more information about me than most of you would ever want to know. Hey, count your blessings. I may at some point decide to do one of those "10,000 Things You Need to Know About ME!". Then you'll all be really sorry.

Before I drone on and on about myself here is a photo of the boot socks I knit a few months ago. Aren't they pretty? We've had an unseasonably early rain along with cool-ish weather which made the socks just right for the daily dog hike.

The Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Wool, wool, wool/cotton, cotton. I do not like synthetics.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Right now, a jam jar or strewn across any horizontal surface. It’s a mess. I’m out of control. I have plans to make myself a needle holder sometime this winter. I have a lot of plans.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve knitted on and off for over 30 years and am entirely self taught. Until the last few years I never really followed a pattern, learned about gauge etc. and consequently my results were less than perfect. I’d get frustrated and stop knitting for long periods of time. Over the last two to three years I’ve had more of a focus and a willingness to go take the time to really work out why something wasn’t turning out and fix it. I consider myself an advanced beginner to intermediate with touches of inspiration.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes. I'm very good friends with Amazon.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.).
All Things Floral and Fruity: Lavender, lemongrass (oh yes), sandalwood, cedar, rose, rose geranium, ginger, pear, lemon – you get me drift.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh, chocolate, of course. Also anything fruity especially lemon or lime.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don’t spin anymore and have no real interest in taking it up. No, I am not the antichrist. I have a studio full of craft and art supplies.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD).
MP3’s are great. I’ve got a brand new podcast up and running (TrueYarns) on knitting and creativity. So, send me something and I’ll put it out there. My tastes are pretty eclectic. I really only dislike rap and country. Celtic. classical and Indie rock are favorites.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
They are all nice. I like teals and purples a lot and love really saturated and bright colors. Want to find me in a crowd? I’m the one in pink, orange and yellow with purple shorts. In a rainstorm? My rain jacket is bright orange. My umbrella(s) are deep pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have three cats and a young dog. They’re family. I’m married with a lovely hubby but no children other than a grown stepson.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I have never had a poncho so that’s interesting. I have a huge number of scarves but would love fingerless mitts, mittens, wrist warmers (I have big wrists - 6.75"), a pretty hat or something to cover my ears when I go snow shoeing or cross country skiing.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Sweaters and socks. Followed by T-shirts/shell tops, fingerless mitts. I did several dog sweaters last winter.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Several pairs of socks for various friends, wrist warmers, fingerless mitts, a log cabin blanket. A couple of vests that I may some day actually finish (I’m so very close), and a sweater jacket. Oh and a person - just an odd project that has taken my fancy. I’m knitting large pieces, felting them and then sewing the pieces together.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
The best!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like both straight and circular. I don’t like plastic much and am finding I like a really sharp point. I haven’t decided about metal needles yet. I have a problem with my bamboo needles warping so metal might be a good option if they aren’t too heavy.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, thank goodness.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
That would be telling (and embarrassing). A long time but I never give up. Amazingly, I eventually do finish most things.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
This has me stumped. I can’t think of one that is extra special. I like silly, just for no reason, "let’s celebrate because it isn’t your birthday" types of things.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Flower seeds. I’m an avid gardener. Books with pretty pictures, sock patterns, knitting books.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’m thinking of getting a subscription to Interweave Knits but haven’t yet. I have the Nancy Bush Vintage sock book and would love another one of her books. My knitting dictionary is very old, a paperback and falling apart (hint, hint).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’d like to work on my finishing. I am very weak on sewing things up in an attractive way. I’m also ready to try a toe up sock and a Turkish cast on. I am also wanting to try knitting with two circular needles rather than dpns.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes.
Length - 9.75"/24.5mm
Middle – 9.50"/24mm
Leg – 11"/28mm
Heel/Arch – 13.25"/34mm

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
July 11th.

3 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean no favorite holidays? One of the best is my birthday, when you come to town and we get to celebrate being geographically in the same place - instead of merely visiting over the ether through the wonders of modern computing.

You also look quite dashing in peaches, salmons, and mustard-y yellows.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

You're right. It's one of my most favorite times of the year. I get to come see my dear friend Suzy (who may some day soon move a heck of a lot closer enabling me to see her a whole lot more).

Next thing I know you'll be telling people about the years I would only wear white, black or gray and how you finally got me to buy a fabric with a colored print.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope i would be able to determine what u like :) purple is my favourite color too. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home