Friday, August 24, 2007

DNAThe DNA is visiting with his girlfriend. Actually, it's my step DNA and his name is Austin. He and Roxanne have driven from Memphis, TN to Seattle to see his grandparents then down to see us. Rox hasn't seen much of the US so she's getting to see Yellowstone and Yosemite for the first time. The US has some mighty fine scenery.



I've continued to keep busy and have finished the bubbly curtain. I took Mason-Dixon seriously when they said: "This is one of the times when a sure-nuff pin-blocking fiesta pays off." It did. The linen stretched and grew and I had "...to show it who's boss". I didn't have spray starch but I had spray sizing which is probably related somehow. I stretched. I sprayed. I pinned and repinned. Those little yo's opened up beautifully. It was too long which I had expected and I decided that I didn't want a curtain rod set up but to pin it around the outside of the window. I frogged four inches and finished off with my four rows of garter stitch. I searched around for decorative push pins and found some on Etsy that I liked. I haven't quite decided that they are what I want but for now life is good. In the words of the hubby, "...it looks better than I expected.".

Oh, and I was Brave and Strong and returned the extra skein of linen. I had 37 grams of a 100 gram skein left over. Knit on size 5 needles. I started out with some long, metal Susan Bates and switched to short bamboos, Crystal Palace I think. The whole thing took less than a week with my working on it just a bit most days. I am very pleased with it.

I continue to knit mitered squares. They just don't get old. I've enough that I think I will wash and block what I have and sew them up just to give me a sense of progress. I'm also fitting a vest pattern. My first run through showed that some adjustments were needed. I am using older bits and pieces of leftover fabric for the fitting. I made a run to our local fabric store for some silk brocades to be used once I am happy with the fit. I'm not an experienced enough sewer that my first time around is good enough. Practice does make near perfect.


Deciding against subtle hints I flat out announced that I wanted a serger for either my birthday or Christmas. Christmas came early today. Mr. FedX delivered a Husqvarna Huskylock 936. I will have my work cut out for me figuring out how it all works. Whooowheeeeee!!! My hubby loves me.


The garden continues to produce. That's a 6.5 lb cantaloupe with lots more in the garden. The deluge of green beans has begun.

EYE CANDY FRIDAY


The heat, the difficult water situation. Not a lot of ECF today. Basically, you're seen it all before. An abstract of banana leaves.


Opie in his favorite spot on top of the front door stairs. Shady. Cool. Good view of predators. The stepson has a very nice dog with him but he's unfixed causing all my pets to feel a little stressed.



4 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the brocades and the silks. Will you be combining them? I think your assessment of the vest was right, it does need an FBA.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The offspring is a good-looking guy, he obviously gets it from his dad. I have ripe tomatoes this year but I am drooling over those lovely cantalope.

Love, Mia

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big is that curtain? It seems like you got it done so quickly! It looks lovely.

Elaine

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

The curtain came out lovely! I gave away the Mason-Dixon book after I read it a few times. It was a great book, I loved the read, but I realized I was never going to make the things in it because I have no patience whatsoever. Square things make me crazy. So I am that much more impressed that you finished it :)

A serger!!!!!! what cool fun. I used to use a friend's when I wanted to make a halloween costume, years back, and I thought it was da bomb. If I ever really learn to sew I will start craving one of these again. SO USEFUL. Have fun with it.

Elinoire's pickled green beans are awesome, by the way -- if you really do have a lot, I recommend you get her recipe. Though you might already have a good one. And then I'll have to come up with something to trade for it (not to mention the plum wine)... I haven't done any canning this year :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home