Wednesday, September 05, 2007

THAR (S)HE FLOWS!

Ollie has been most obliging and is peeing away. I've almost stopped fretting about him during all of my waking hours.

In between checking the litter box I've been sewing on two of the three vests. I've played with piping (we like) and fabric choices (not too bad). So far so good. I feel that the seams will need some sort of securing but haven't decided what to do yet. Beading sounds good but is time consuming. My machine only does "decorative" stitches which seem not quite good enough for this project. I have a deadline by the 23rd of this month to finish all three.



Three vests don't take that long but I'm busy doing other things like knitting the odd mitered square as I watch the US Open with hubby. I also made spicy pickled green beans courtesy of a great recipe from Elinor. I stuffed those beans in but they ended up floating anyway. I tried a new recipe for plum/peach chutney using my fruit (natch) and some flavored vinegar that I made up (mint/orange peel). I had to play with the recipe until I was satisfied. I added a box of golden raisins, a bit of brown sugar, lemon zest and who knows what else. Don't stand too near me when I'm adjusting flavor or you might just get tossed in the pot. Next up is either fig or tomato chutney. Or both. This has not been a good year for tomatoes, just not enough water but we have enough to play with now and again.

While Kate was visiting we went up to Bowman Lake. It being a three day holiday the place had every camping site stuffed with people. The lake area itself was rather devoid of folks which is fine by me. Like everything water related in CA the lake was also rather low.




Omar and Kate enjoyed the view.

EYE (AND EYEBALL) FRIDAY

Lene over at The Seated View has asked that people post photos of eyes. Here is one of mine. I'm not sure I really wanted to know just how many wrinkles I have under and around my eyes. A life well lived and all that, right?


The state of California is in the midst of many wildfires. We have a big one not that far away near Lassen. It makes for an interesting sun.


Which also makes the garden look rather soft and nice. Oak trees with bird box.

Lavender.


A rose (with hard water spots) and hyssop.


Zinnias and cosmos.


Asters.


Sedum. Soon it will bloom.











4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your garden never ceases to amaze me. Even in the midst of such a water shortage. Beautiful.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Very relieved (hee hee, no pun intended) to hear the Ollie news! I hope things continue well.

I'm quite envious of your good canning achievements. Something had to slip this summer for me, and canning it was, but it doesn't stop me admiring your pile!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Nice eyball! And gorgeous garden, too. Hope the fires stay away from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home