Monday, September 10, 2007

WAY OUT WEST


Hubby is yet again roaring through the back roads of northern California and Oregon. I heard some complaints about "having seen it all already" but he is having fun and will be back in a week. I miss him but I enjoy my alone time and having just a plate and fork to wash after my simple dinner.


As he was heading out the door I was dicing 12 cups of homegrown tomatoes to make chutney. I am delighted to say that a recipe that I pulled off the web has turned out to be delicious and rather easy to make. I just wish this photo showed what a lovely deep red color it is. That one jar that is not quite full is because I kept sampling. Next up: gingered fig chutney.


I am making preparations to dye 5 skeins of Rowan chunky wool. 550 grams/550 yards.


I quickly discovered that winding from the center pull went much faster when making up skeins. The photos are not true to color. The yarn is quite white. I am going to use peach leaves but haven't decided on what mordant yet. I'm thinking that some type of yellow or an earth green would be quite nice.

A trip to Kmart netted me three enameled pots. I read the blog of a woman in Denmark who dyes with mushrooms and she mentioned that she keeps her pots in the greenhouse. I thought I would give it a try. (I cannot find the link at the moment. It's an excellent site with lots of information about how to dye.) The water temperature went up from 72.5 to 83.5F overnight. The greenhouse has automatic lifters so things could get even hotter if I wished it.
More mitered squares are being knitted. I am almost out of the RY DK cashsoft and have to decide whether to have my local yarn store order it for me or to buy on-line. I am using enough yarn that saving 50 cents to a dollar does add up enought to be a consideration.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Elinoire said...

I am jealous of your pot plethora. I've been wanting to replace my one lone pot, so maybe it's time to visit my local K-mart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home