Friday, July 16, 2010

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE




No, not Opie though he will assure you he can be very fierce. Though right now he, and all the other furbots are trying to stay cool in the summer heat.



I'm talking about this.



This is what we call, "the lower terrace". It is impossible to really grow anything. I mean, things do grow but pretty much as they please. In the late summer until mid spring it goes into deep shade. Come summer it's a searing hot spot in full sun. Underneath the piles of good soil we trucked in is an impenetrable layer of clay and multiple rocks (who live to work themselves up to the surface). Some spots are bone dry, others areas (we're talking a distance of a few inches here) are a boggy mess. I've taken to weeding in the spring, mulching, then tossing out any leftover flower seeds and hoping for the best.

Sewing

I made a pair of pants to go with the toddler shirt. I tried to make a second set that ended up giving me conniptions. I have moved on. Best to have a clean break or go mad.
Yesterday I finished the 5 inches or 2x2 ribbing on the shrug for my niece. As I started to sew up the sleeve seams (chortling Done! Done! to myself and humming a little tune) I immediately realized I had started picking up the stitches at the wrong point causing the right sleeve seams not to align. Some weeks just nothing seems to work out. My next bright idea is to sew the seams up first THEN pick up the ribbing. It's a plan. I can hardly complain since working with the tosh dk is So.Nice. But still...

I'm on a mission to organize my life. File folder for patterns. Patterns in sheet covers. I tend to write my notes, yarn used, needle sizes, what problems I had on the pattern. I've found over time it's a great resource because face it - I can't remember what I had for lunch much less what yarn or needle size I used.
THE GARDEN/THE TENACITY OF LIFE




7 or 8 years ago I grew some evening primrose (Oenothera). It turned out to be a bit tall for what I wanted and so I ripped it out at the end of the season and moved on. I was done but it wasn't. Year after year, after year it resprouts. For some reason I took pity this year.



A waterlily.

There is more but it's too darn hot to go outside and photograph anything.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous The Enabler said...

Ollie looks absolutely fierce. Such a wonderful boy, too. Your garden is always so gorgeous. A visual and aromatic delight - quite a feat for those of us with a black thumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home