Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sleep

It’s not that I have insomnia, I just can’t sleep. Seems to be a common problem with women but when you’re watching the sky lighten up at dawn It’s A Very Personal Thing. I have been experimenting with two color techniques since I want to do my socks according to the pattern. My 1963 "900 Stitches Dictionary" has been a good friend over the years and it didn’t let me down when I researched how to knit with two colors. This book covers pretty much everything. I tried a few rounds working the held color and just didn’t like it. One of the problems is that the non Koigu yarn just isn’t well, Koigu. It’s too heavy and just doesn’t have the same sort of look or feel.

After tossing and turning and thinking of how I could get another couple of skeins (I have good and willing friends – call the store, figure out what color(s), pay by credit card, have friend go in and pick up and mail etc. Heck, I'm sure the store would mail it to me.) it occurred to me: Just use what you have girl. It will look just fine; it will be a good sock to learn on blah, blah, blah. Instead of starting yet another project I could wrap up a few of my ongoing projects – now that would be something. And you know? I’m right. So climb out of bed again (I think this was my third time at attempting to fall asleep) and back to the couch. Built a little fire in the wood burning stove because it’s in the 40’s outside (don’t get me started on the weather – just go see Al Gore’s "An Inconvenient Truth" and decide for yourself). I cast on and here is my very early stages effort.

It will grow. I get a lot of knitting done during tennis season. I did find that all the practicing of casting on and knitting translated into my sort of knowing what was going on and it felt smooth. An illusion I am sure.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Not an illusion. You are entering the zen of knitting. I can't see both colors in the picture yet.. I eagerly await more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home