Thursday, July 13, 2006

STASH - HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

I like to cruise the blogs. It gives me a chance to see how other people, mostly women, are living their lives and a chance to see some really wonderful knitted items. I like that there is a spectrum of ages and ethnic backgrounds. I just enjoy hearing about you all. I comment now and then but mostly I just read. One thread I keep coming across is the subject of "too much stash". My reply is: Is this even possible? Various bloggers say, "Should I limit myself? Here's a plan to stop buying so much...I have more than I can use in my lifetime. Blah, blah, blah.

Not to be judgmental but...

WOULD A GUY SAY SUCH A THING?

Okay. If you have the discretionary income, your children aren't going without medical care, food, clothing on their backs (you must be knitting something for the little darlings if you're buying stash hand over fist). Your animals see the vet when needed and have proper care. Hubby gets lots of attention and neither of you have a second or third job to support your evil habit. You don't need extensive dental work that you've been putting off because you need just a "few more skeins of this or that". You, the "adult" are getting what needs to be done taken care of in a reasonable manner and you aren't spending ALL your time buying, scheming to buy...

Well? Really now, why do we women (and my apologies to any men checking in) do we do this to ourselves? Life is short. Desserts are full of fat and calories. Yarn gives us PLEASURE. It has a long shelf life. It doesn't hurt anyone. It's pretty and soft and smells nice. You can get a kick anytime by just going and visiting your stash.

PLEASURE IS GOOD. GUILT is over rated.

So says Everything Earin.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I like stash. I don't mind if I leave it behind when I die.

My grandma told me before she died that she wanted me to have her unknit yarn. I'll be picking it up (if there is any), along with her needle collection, this weekend. It'll be a great gift, to knit with her yarn and her needles.

This is no bad thing to leave behind.

I say, SABLE away! Just don't get into trouble with creditors...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home