Monday, March 12, 2007

IT BE HOT
What on earth is going on? It's March 12th and it's 79F outside. Good thing I'm on a tear making summer pants. I am going to need them. The annual ordeal of getting our irrigation system up and running has begun. Things are dry, and needing Water.Now. On the knitting front I am feeling less than energetic so I'm fiddling around with making a purse. I will felt this and see how it turns out. If I like it I will sew up the sides, line it, put on a strap, and insert a zipper.

Heather has warned me that the punchneedle will become addictive. I can see that. They have a very seductive quality - textile-ly with a feeling of stained glass. I.Can't.Stop.Myself - I wish. If I ever get the fruit trees pruned and other garden must-do's I might actually get to try out the technique. I have too much to do!
One of the traditions of going over to Phoenix is coming back home with grapefruit. Lots and lots of grapefruit. This is just a small sample for artistic balance in the photograph. It's all organic too so I blanch the peels and then make candied grapefruit rind. I am juicing the fruit as I go along and freezing it to be used as needed.

K. I have a very dear friend named K. She was my landlady/housemate for almost 10 years before my marriage 5 years ago and it turned out to be one of those wonderful things that life throws at you now and again. In other places and circumstances we would have never become friends. Different ages, different backgrounds, separate social circles, both rather private people. Unfortunately, life has also thrown K. a very fast hardball in the guise of cancer. She is gracious and upbeat and has fought the good fight for years now. She was kind enough to let me take a series of photographs of her at the end of one round of chemotherapy a few years back and from those I painted this picture. K. lives about 3 to 4 hours away and I don't get to see her as much as I would like and she doesn't very often come up this way but this weekend the planets aligned and she spent the afternoon and night with us. I realized that she had never actually seen her portrait and this was a great opportunity to get the two of them in one photo.

ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD

I've had several comments about the cat pile in the RV so I'm tossing in another one for fun. Otis is a very determined little cat (who isn't so little anymore).









2 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K looks like she's weathering this round of chemo pretty well. I must write her again. Good people are so few these days.

Otis on top of the pile. Why am I not surprised.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Your painting is lovely -- I'm surprised you don't do more of that, but then, as you say, SO many arts and crafts, so little time...

Yay! more catpile pictures!
Your cats crack me up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home