Monday, February 12, 2007

REMAINS OF THE SNACK

While walking Omar this morning I startled a hawk sitting in a tree. As she flew off she dropped something and that something turned out to be the hindquarters of a rabbit. A lot of protein is needed to raise little fledglings. While I leave you to digest that tasty tidbit of information I will show you Claude Undone. I had earlier frogged a good deal of the left front of Claude when I discovered (yet again) that I cannot reliably read pattern instructions. I took Claude with me to a dinner party on Sat. and after a very nice meal knitted away. At some point while I was admiring my knitting I discovered that I had forgotten to do one cable repeat ten or 12 rows back. With an indifferent light and only my lap to balance things on I quietly slipped the whole thing off my needles, put it in my basket, and cast on a sleeve. K2P2 - 14 rows then stockinette stitch for rows and rows. I could do that and talk at the same time. The next day I spread things out and went to work with my crochet hook. It took a little trial and error to get the cable just right and matched in height to its neighbor but it wasn't that hard at all. I am very pleased with myself.
I sometimes wonder why I don't seem to turn out projects as fast as some people. I certainly seem to spend a lot of time knitting. To help pass the time I've started getting audio books from the library. I'm very tired of TV. The cable repair was done while listening to the original radio program of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". It's very funny.
One project that I'm working on is reserved for long telephone conversations. I have no idea what happened. I untwisted the skein and opened it out. It seemed to be tied a little funny with the tie catching several strands of yarn. It all literally burst into this pile when I snipped the tie. It's also a Sundara silky merino (think of the way over-sized after washing somewhat cowl) which just wants to expand. If you feel like a long chat give me a call. I'll put on my headset and unwind as we talk. I'd love to hear how people wash skeins before knitting with them and without the skein turning into a knotted mess.
Another reason I'm a bit slower than average is that no yarn is safe in my house. Either it's being killed or the knitting is just the perfect place for a determined cat to sleep. Bags are of great interest too though Opie does not look impressed.







3 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You did a beautiful job of repairing the cable! This may sound strange, but sometimes being able to successfully repair a mistake is very satisfying and totally overshadows the silliness of the original mistake!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

It was! I thought - I could probably reknit the section faster but somehow getting in there and fixing it made me feel so good.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I don't know why, but fixing a cable booboo is SO satisfying. Go you!

I'm lucky that my cat is not as interested in yarn as yours are. Good luck with that untangle project.. personally, I'd blame the cats. I got lucky with a bad tangle the other night (because I have ZERO patience with them) and my husband got mysteriously interested and worked it all out for me. Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home