Wednesday, January 24, 2007

RULES

I am beginning to think that there needs to be a few rules. I was organizing my stash a day or two ago, which on the whole is A Good Thing. On the upside, I found a small hank of the Classic Elite Waterlily in green that I needed for the edges of my second rib and cable mitt. This removes the wait and see anxiety - do I have enough and will I have to take all my little snippets and felt them together? (I even did some dumpster diving and retrieved several strands from a garbage basket next to my sewing machine - you never know - it could have made the difference.) Another upside is that I know just what I have in my stash pile. The downside. Do I need to spell it out? I know exactly how much yarn I have. I think there should be some sort of rule about looking your stash straight in the eye. I suspect that I don't have a huge stash compared to people who have been seriously knitting for years and years. But...it's a lot more than the mental image I've be wandering through my days with. I've had the bright idea that I will put a photo of the item I want to make in with the yarn into a ziplock bag. Then when I go rooting around I will be re-inspired. It's a cunning plan. Needing another container for said stash I unceremoniously dumped the acrylic stash belonging to my mother and stole her tub. At the bottom I found a little booklet from 1959 on how to knit and crochet. For 35 cents you got a great deal. The booklet is actually rather good. Just another example of what I think of as the "Super Size Me" of just about everything in our culture.I have made progress on the second rib and cable mitt. The somewhat cowl is so near to be finished but I just can't seem to get that last end tucked in. Tonight.For.Sure.
Yesterday bought a box of Sundara's amazing yarn. I now own two skeins of laceweight yarn. It is so delicate I felt nervous handling it. Opie had no reluctance whatsoever. I missed getting a photo of him stuffing almost all of his 13 lbs into the box the yarn came in. Things were quickly moved to Higher Ground.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Opie pic, though it looks a bit heart-attack-inducing. The yarn looks gorgeous!

I know what you mean about Facing The Stash. Some things just shouldn't be done -- at least, not sober...

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stashes have a habit of procreating when we're not looking. They hide in the corner makng stashlettes, and before you know it, there's more than you thought, and another storage box is required. Repeat after me. I. Have. Not. Bought. All. This. It materialized when I wasn't looking.

The purple & grey Sundara is just beautiful. Makes a difficult choice. I see why you got them both. They're lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home