Wednesday, April 25, 2007

KNIT PURL CLIP PRUNE

I came home from the bay area with a truck full of plants so I've been very busy finding just the right spots in my garden for my plant stash but still finding time to knit. The Hot Pink Tart is almost done. All the seams are sewn and one armhole is crocheted. More about that later.

It became apparent that the HPT was going to be a little snug. My friend Sharon suggested that I put in side panels so I knitted one trying to match the basketweave. When I lined it up I could see that I had gone from snug to Too.Large.


Thinking cosmic thoughts such as "Keep it Simple" I picked up the stitches on both sides and did a garter stitch for one inch each side. I tend to bind off fairly tightly so I used a size 8 to bind off which seemed to work well. I had been knitting on size 3's and getting gauge. For some reason when I got to the front neck shaping I switched to size 4's (don't ask, I haven't a clue either). It was only for an inch or so and didn't really seem to make a difference and I wasn't in a frogging mood.
I had to do a small amount of easing to match the side seams and it isn't puckering BUT as I suspected from the pattern the armhole is LARGE affording a great view of my bra. I opted to crochet around the edges and I like the way it looks. It's funny, I learned to crochet when pretty young and as soon as I start hooking I feel at ease. Muscle memory takes over. With knitting I'm always thinking and correcting and the sense of ease is not there. Not that it isn't enjoyable, it's just that I need to concentrate. I am wondering if I can crochet a little panel to hide my underwear. I'm not big on showing my undies. (I've since tried the panel idea and it doesn't work. Two rows of basic crochet seem to be just right for finishing.)
Overall, I am pleased. It was an easy knit, the pattern has a few typo's but nothing you can't figure out (still, I paid good money for it and I like accurate patterns). The yarn drapes beautifully and makes even my full figure look good.
Ann Norling: Checkerboard Shell by Norla Henerson
Almost 6 skeins of RY Cashsoft DK merino/microfiber/cashmere #506 from The Yarn and Fiber Store (their prices just went up alas and I don't know if they're still offering free shipping).
Susan Bates No. 3 needles which I liked a lot more than the bamboo ones I tried.
Size "C" hook for the edges.
I will certainly make this again with adjustments to the size of the armholes.

EXPLORING
Hubby and I like to go exploring to see what's tucked away out in the mountains. Yesterday we went along the eastern side of Lake Englebright. It was very muddy. I was brave and wore hand knit socks with my hiking boots and put them both to the test when we hiked around. Omar got very muddy. I didn't get a good photo of all the adorable little paw prints he left all over me. Luckily, he's a very smoochable kind of dog and gets away with A.Lot.


4 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I think the Hot Pink Tart is worth the finicking (that's not a word, but so what!) over the finishing. It looks great (we're expecting a posed photo soon!), and I like the crochet edge solution. I have crocheted since I was 7 and I have the same experience you do — I don't really have to think about it at all. I'm newer by some 34 years to knitting, so that's a different story, though it's becoming second nature quickly...

Aww, muddy puppies are still cute.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omar says - I have her wrapped around my little paw.

Any word from Claude? 8-)

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I can't wait to see you in the hot pink tart. It looks wonderful. And the extra panels on the sides look intentional, not like an afterthought. I'm impressed.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I love your sweater. Good job making it a little wider. Looks great.

Wandering around a muddy trail can be fun. Lucky Omar! I bet he had a blast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home