Thursday, October 12, 2006

WHAT'S THAT SMELL?

Why that's Omar the Magnificent - chaser of skunks. Be thankful blogs don't come with SmellORama. He was not a happy camper last night and neither were we.

I increased my stash while Elaine was here. The photo does not do justice to the beauty of the three skeins of di.ve Autunno 100% merino. I've knitted a few swatches and this stuff is so soft and the variegation of color so subtle it make your eyes water with delight. I think the green will be wristwarmers (with hopefully enough leftover to be added to the Mary Janes I'm ready to start knitting). Little things for just your wrists not the IHS wristwarmers which are more like fingerless gloves. I also bought another skein of the Classic Elite Inca Print that I made my Irish Hiking Scarf out of. Along with my leftover yarn I should be able to make some fingerless mitts to match. I also lucked out in the sales bin and bought five skeins of chunky print Rowan in off white for a very decent price. All wool of course. I might try dying it. I will see what calls to me when the time to knit it comes.

I have been contacted by my Secret Pal who says she is looking forward to spoiling me. I'm ready. Anytime. The woman I am hoping to spoil has not yet responded but I do know she has a very busy life. My mind is thinking up clever things to make her smile.


EYE CANDY FRIDAY

Does anyone else still do this?
I am very fond of old graveyards and the symbols used on the headstones. They tell quite the story. This lichen covered gravestone is up behind Nevada City off of Red Dog. I am looking forward to spending a lot more time studying the graves there. I only had time for a brief look last week. If the subject interests you there is an excellent book, "Stories in Stone. A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography." The author is Douglas Keister.

A piece of my garden this morning catching just the edge of the waterfall on our small pond.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Ooh! The Autunno yarn looks totally seductive, if it's even nicer in person I would be a goner. Is it soft?

Sorry about Omar... thank goodness our cat is now mostly indoor, as she was definitely contemplating taking on skunks at our old house. I had the tomato juice at the ready, just in case.

I also love old graveyards — I like to try to get a sense of the individuals who have gone before, from the little clues you can manage to glean from the stones. I love that sense that a person with a personality very like my own may have existed a couple hundred years before me. I wonder how she coped with her own daily life challenges, different than mine. She probably would have taken up knitting too :-)

Love the eye candy... SO pretty.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Brace yourself, the Autunno is incredibly soft. Soft as a baby duckling. I've knitted up what I consider "proper" wristwarmers, just a band around your wrist in a seed stitch and it is so very,very, soft. I'm doing a little embroidery (blog entry soon) on them and it's working out so well. I may have a problem actually passing them along as a gift. Oh, wait, I can make more. : - )

I find that I do the same thing, how did this person live, were they at all like me? This area has some really interesting graveyards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home