Friday, December 22, 2006

CONSIDER THE UNEXPECTED

On our way out the door to Calistoga a large box was delivered from Valerie. I was stunned. I opened it and found a box of wondrous items. (Okay, once I knew it was from Valerie I knew I was in for a treat - she's just like that.) I now have all three of the Vogue Knitting Stitchionaries - this last one on cables completes my set. (I must have 12 major knitting projects in my head using cables, multicolors and a host of intricate details that will be gleaned from these books.) I am overwhelmed that someone I've never met (though I consider her a dear cyber friend) would go to the time and expense during this busy holiday season and send me thoughtful gifties. Valerie how could I possibly get those wonderful flowered gardening gloves DIRTY!?! They are far too pretty to use. Thank you so much! (I will get you for this, some day when you're not looking.)On the drive to Calistoga, a place we go to every winter to meet up with good friends, I knitted a Mary Jane slipper. I used di.ve Autunno merino on size 9's. The pattern was bought by my friend Kimberly back when we were at the Sebastopol Celtic Festival with my promise I would make her a pair. I found the pattern to be a little confusing but I prevailed. The slipper is too big for her much smaller feet and I decided that something machine washable was more appropriate. I have a huge stash of acrylic yarns inherited from my mother's stash. I'm about 2/3rd's of the way though my next attempt and I'll say it now and I'll say it LOUD - I don't like working with acrylic. It just feels like shit but she'll be able to just toss them in the washer and dryer. Okay, moving on. One of the things we do every year in Calistoga is to take a longish to Bataan Death March length hike. This year it was a merely longish 7 miles through the lush greenery of Bothe State Park.
We went up, up and up. Then across and then down (with bits of up). It was so cold for the first half of the hike that ice was still on the ground in places. I submit the forest photos as my EYE CANDY offerings for this Friday.
One of major attractions of coming to Calistoga is bathing in three hot pools at the spa we stay at. Each one is hotter than the next. I love the hot pools.
Before going out in the evenings to dinner we would meet up, drink some wine and nosh. Katrina was knitting the second of a pair of mittens. I worked on my Mary Janes. The guys just sat. How can they stand to do that? On the way home I experimented with learning how to do a Brioche stitch that was in the Interweave magazine that Bookish Wendy sent me. So far: Brioche stitch - 3. EE - 0. Stay tuned though. I'm tenacious.

4 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Glad you like the goodies. It sounds like a great weekend — so relaxing. Good luck with brioche!! I'm sure you'll get it.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Yes... Valerie is mean like that. I too will be atempting to get her back when she least expects it. muhahahaha.

The place you went it gorgeous! Looks like you had a great weekened.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santa has once again mis-delivered your gifts to our house. I have used Great self restraint in leaving these packages wrapped. Please be aware, they will be forfiet if you do not show up in February, as planned.

The bows, in particular, are trying.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Earin! I just happened upon your blog - just looking at blogs this afternoon from the SP 9 site - and as I began reading I realized that it sounded very familiar . . . I started asking myself - where have I heard about this trip to Calistoga before?? Then it finally clicked! On the podcast! Too funny! Keep up the great podcasting - I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home