Friday, December 15, 2006

RULE OF THUMB

Never, ever make blogging decisions when you really have to pee. Navigate away from page? Oh yeah, sure. No, wait!!!! Too late. So, where was I. Ah, socks. I haven't been that happy with the socks I knitted last summer (we know that many of the more experienced knitters have since churned out pair after pair, I have only this one completed pair). They've always been too loose, the spaces between the stitches too open. I had no idea if the wool was superwash but after a few handwashings I took up my courage and tossed them in with a load of warm/cold laundry. They felted. Well, duh. I expected that. They became smaller. I also expected that. They fit beautifully. That took me by surprise. Two nights ago a truck came up our driveway. We live in the country, we have a long driveway, this is unusual. It was Mr. UPS man working late during the holiday season. My friend John had sent me a HUGE box of knitting books along with next month's book for the Knit the Classics book club. He even included a book (non-knitting, of course) for hubby. There's nothing like new knitting books to get you dancing around the kitchen.

The rest of my afternoon will be trying to pull Episode 5 together for my podcast, Trueyarns. Usually I do the whole thing in an afternoon (music is selected over time as I knit). This episode has been broken up by real time events. I feel like I'm trying to swim upstream and spawn. Ewwww.

EYE CANDY FRIDAY
Moss on a rotting stump. It was really pretty.
The Four Season Garden at Red Butte Botanical Gardens in Salt Lake City. This is one of the more beautiful gardens I have ever seen. As you can gather from the name it's designed to have interest during all four seasons of the year. As a gardener I can tell you that this is no mean feat. At the time we visited they had a sculpture show of the Chapungu. These were stunning and powerful sculptures by both men and women. The show was supposed to be at a major museum back east but there was a scheduling conflict so it was sent to the gardens for a short time. We were supposed to be meeting friends in Colorado but our RV was having problems so we had to spend a week in SLC for repairs. Things work out sometimes.

One of my cherry trees about to lose its leaves. A bit of a newly painted house in the background.

3 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

OOh, nice eye candy and what a grand relief about the socks. Hurrah. And nice warm felted ones just in time for winter...

Re your previous post, yes. This has been a year like that for me and for my friends. These things seem to come in waves sometimes. Thank goodness for the good things: friendship. knitting. music. and kitty paws.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your friday candy are always so attractive. It really make the start of my weekend a pleasant one. :)

Ur SP

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks look *so* cozy. They're even a warm color.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home