Monday, March 19, 2007

REBIRTH

Things are starting to poke their heads out of the dead foliage of last season. So many things died in the long freeze we had. I've been hoping that a little green would appear but I've given up on a lot of things. So, out with the old and dead, in with the new and green. Thankfully, this hardy geranium survived. In a month or so it will be a mass of greenery dotted with blue flowers. After much searching of six years of flower photographs I was unable to find a close-up of the plant in bloom but I can show you what it looks like peeking out in the background and I found a photo of what the garden looked like before we did a massive overhaul. It's still nowhere near the garden I hold in my mind but it has its moments.Last year.Spring 2002 before we took the tractor and backhoe to it. The peonies currently look like this.Soon they will look like this.


And a few new plants waiting to be planted. I've also started up some seedlings but there is still so much more to do.
ON THE KNITTING FRONT

I have felted the piece I hope to use for a small purse. The green yarn which is di.vo merino felted like a dream. The orange Rowan Scottish tweed much less so. I used some Jamison wool (the purple - mixed in where I switched yarns) with the Rowan which seemed to felt pretty well. Over the weekend I fiddled around with some Rowan Cashsoft using the checkerboard shell pattern. I thought the dark olive green not summery enough so have ordered on-line a lovely orange. I also kept losing count because Clint is very distracting. Claude is sulking so I had better get back to it soon. I also played around with the punch needle embroidery. It's a bit more tricky than I had supposed and I think I might go for a heavier backing fabric but it has potential.

Hubby went down to Death Valley to ride his motorcycle with friends. He came home tanned, dusty and with a swollen ankle. I have him propped up on the couch with cats, dog and the remote control. Advil will be administered as needed. I'd like him to see a doctor but he's too big to toss over my shoulder and he wiggles so much. While he was away Kate came up to visit. Omar loves Kate. Omar loves Kate so much I was starting to have a bit of a problem with it. But I am fine - really. We had a great time eating and watching movies. Kate was a bit amazed at how loud the frogs were. I did a web search and the frogs are Pacific tree frogs. I also discovered frog spawn in the pool. I guess we won't be swimming anytime soon (not that we had planned to). I went out one night with my mixer, microphone and laptop and recorded the frogs. I'm hoping to get a podcast done within a day or two and use the recording.









2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earin, I love you and your posts make me happy. Thanks!

Mia (remember me?)

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

As if I could forget you -despite the fact that you never visit. : - (

I miss you so much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home