Friday, May 30, 2008

MINE! ALL MINE!!

Recently Knitters Review did a piece on soft linen made by Classic Elite. It sounded so wonderful I just had to have it and a web search showed that Uncommon Threads in Los Altos carried it. Since I was going to be there soon I bided my time. It turned out to be as nice as I had expected and I had discount coupons which brought my cost down to half so I was doubly pleased. I'm planning to make the Drifting Pleats scarf from Knitting New Scarves by Lynne Barr. But.Not.Until.I.Finish.Up.A Couple.Of.Things. This is being so hard but I am being very FIRM with myself. The color in the photo isn't accurate, it's more of a raspberry sherbet. Since I'm planning on making myself an orangy-red wool coat for winter I shall be quite a sight come snow time.



I am almost halfway through my second vintage sock and have made major inroads to the sleeves of the Landscape jacket. It's heading down the homestretch and looking good. Girlfriend knitting tomorrow so lots will get done.

EYE CANDY FRIDAY


As usual, I'm immensely behind in my weeding and gardening. There's always so much to do. Sewing, knitting, gardening, sleeping, the never ending laundry, walking the dog, making food (hubby would starve otherwise). I'm starting to prepare for my Phoenix Sew In which is held in Phoenix (duh) in late June. I cut out three pairs of pants yesterday. I had hoped to cut out a blouse today but went for an extra long hike with Omar instead.

Water lilies.


Sage. I foget the name of the purple spiked flower in the back but you'll be happy to know that it's doing well.



Gazanias. They're pretty but still in my heart I see them as freeway flowers. They get no respect.


The exact name of this pretty Oriental poppy is long lost. It's the strangest plant (and a volunteer to boot). I bought the original plant from Annie's Annuals last year and it immediately went to seed. This often happens with her plants - not that they are defective in any way. She has a magnificent place. It's in Richmond though and cold with fog from the bay wafting in. I live much further north and inland. Much drier and hotter. Her plants all seem to do better the next year when they've Given Up Hope. The plant itself is almost 5 ft high and a bit scary looking. Think of the movie, The Day of the Triffids. The flowers, which are only about 1.5 to 2 inches across are perched up at the top.


Niobe. A lovely clematis. It grows in full sun, on rocky, dry-ish ground on a slope. No fertilizer but once a year (if I remember), no bugs bother it, the deer don't eat it, it flowers for months and get this, flowers again in the late summer. Every couple of years I hack it down to about a foot off the ground in the Spring. Oh wait, there is no smell. I guess you can't have everything.

Looking back towards the house. Blanketflower, roses, penstemon, sage (blue and white), mallow. The mallow is a volunteer from a single plant put in SEVEN years ago. It never grows where I want it but I've learned to just let it be. Having the bright idea that Hey, mallow seems to like this spot I put in two other types. They barely survived. I dug one up and put it in a miserable spot and the sucker is happy. Gardening keeps you humble.


I'm starting to see bits and pieces of (don't laugh so hard) my Master Plan. the deep red of the blanketflowers, the blue of the hardy geraniums in between. There was supposed to be a cascade of several Russian sages. They're lagging behind but still alive and for that I am grateful.

4 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your garden is looking beautiful. All the colors! All the plants. Being dubbed "The Grim Reaper" by all things rooted, I am most envious. I especially like the oriental poppy.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squee! Flowers!

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the soft linen really soft to knit with? so glad you mentioned it, Usually hate linen yarn but love to wear it.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad to read yours !
ps
Love that garden!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Philip Jackson said...

Hi Earin. Your garden is beautiful. You sure have some green hands. Reminds me of the times when a close relative used to transform our gardens into a small paradise of flowers and plants. How's your knitting? Good thing you're able to get discounts on those threads. Big discounts usually come during end of the season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home