Wednesday, August 27, 2008

CLAUDE COMPLETE


You'll have to blame Ravelry for my being absent for the last three weeks or so. It sucks up A LOT of my time. Time one would use to blog is now spent cruising the patterns and yarns. I don't find that I use the groups all that much other than my local one, Auburn Knit Night. It's shaping up to be a fine group and I enjoy it tremendously. I find that meeting weekly is really nice. I have also been focused on getting my WIP's turned into FO's courtesy of the Ravelrympics. Claude at last has his buttons attached and is ready for the weather to cool down (someday...but not today). I am this close to finishing up my Manos sweater jacket and Storm. So close...




I made another vest, this one for my friend Sharon's upcoming birthday. I had lots of fun using various lace patterns from Knitting on the Edge. RY Classic Cashsoft DK, size 5 needles using around 4 skeins. I used a combo of patterns, Sharon's measurements, and a dead on gauge to get the sizing down.



I made a cowl with a cable headband. I am not sure the original recipient will really like it so I've since knit her just the cable band. No photo at the moment. Some of you might notice that Omar looks a little subdued while I do my best Grace Kelly impression. We had just arrived back from a 5 day RV trip and he was pretty pooped out. I took him out the next day for a walk and he sat down at the trail head and just looked at me. So, we went home and he slept himself back to his energetic self. He's not a great RV traveler but he prefers it I assume to being boarded.

JAMMING



When I was over in Phoenix awhile back at the sew in I met a woman who promised to send me a recipe for tomato jam. She did and I tried it out. It's rather good and I hope to have enough tomatoes from the garden to make up another batch.

Fabric and Such


I spent several days down in the bay area last weekend doing a lot of girl friending (way fun - I have some really good girlfriends and was sad I couldn't fit more of them in but I was pooped) and museum hopping. A show at the Legion of Honor of 4 women Impressionists and the Dale Chihully glass show at the de Young. The first I actually ended up seeing twice (don't ask it just worked out that way) and it was at best an "okay" exhibit. The Chihully was fabulous. I also had my first viewing of some Charles Chaplin shorts courtesy of my friend Kate. For some reason I have never really seen much of his work and it was amazing stuff.

I bought the red fabric on the left at A Thousand Cranes in Berkeley. It's 15" wide and I have since hand hemmed the edges. It is intended to be a runner for our sideboard and very pretty it is too. The fabric on the right is cotton from Stone Mountain & Daughter also in Berkeley. That is one amazing store.

RV-ing


A few weeks ago we took off for cooler climates to the coast. We stayed at Shelter Cove near Garberville then headed further north up through Ferndale, Arcata, and Crescent City. Omar had some very nice runs along the local beaches. This was good because it turns out that you can't do ANYTHING with a dog at the state parks. During our entire trip the sky was quite smoky and part of our route had to be rearranged because of an ongoing wildfire. We delighted in the fog, the huge green plants - BIG!, GREEN!, and enjoyed riding our dual sport motorcycles out to Fern Canyon at Prairie Creek Redwoods. There were herds of Roosevelt elk (and signs warning you NOT to approach them about every 15 ft). Must.Not.Buzz.Elk.With.Motorcycle. Must not...


Opie likes to sit in hubby's lap while he drives. Otis decided that anything Opie did was way cool. I'm not sure the Opster really appreciated sharing though. Ollie stayed under the seat for awhile then came out to sit across my knees and lap. At 17 lbs my knees got quite a workout. He had to share with Omar so knitting was a bit iffy most of the time.

I've had enough running around for a bit and am tucking in to finish off my ongoing knitting projects and do a little sewing. Oh, and making pickles, cleaning up the garden, planting things for the Fall. Along with the usual things one does to keep the house going. Somehow I expected retirement to be well, more leisurely.

6 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

oooh! Claude is beautiful!

oooh! The vest is wonderful! Any chance of an early present? Now you still haven't told me what you want in return... how about socks? I do good socks.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger bluey said...

Hi hi,

How are you? Hope everything is fine.

ur claude is nice. the jam looks yummy too. :D

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger bluey said...

Hi,

I had dropped u an email @ ur moth email acct :)

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The heavens have parted! Rays of sunlight have blossomed onto the grey-ed landscape in the Realm of Unfinished Objects.

There was much rejoicing! The quiet sighs of yarn, knitted, blocked and finished to perfection filled the air with sweet tenderness.

Claude is Complete!

and quite the snazzy dresser, too!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I was just thinking about making some tomato jam with the last of my tomatoes -- can you send me the recipe you used?

Claude is *gorgeous* -- what pattern was that again? I want one :-)

LOVE the photo of the cats in your husband's lap. Hilarious.

Just got back from the second day spent at the San Diego Zoo in a row -- our house guest, a big zoo fan, pronounces his weekend "zootastic" :-) But I need a nap now...

 
At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Claude if wonderful, that'd be another I ought to put on my queue (my Ravelry problem is too much queuing).
I think the Lost & Found comment you left on my blog tops anything I've come up with! Goo done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home