Friday, June 20, 2008

ZZEWWING "N" STUFF

I continue to sew up a storm and cut out things to take to the Phoenix Sew-In. Part of my recent stash increase.

Phoenix at the end of June. 112F. We've been experiencing mid 90's and thinking "Man, it's fracking hot!". Well, I'll be indoors 99.3% of the time.

One of the things I've been working on is a very cute six panel skirt. I was making great headway with getting two different fabrics to work together by using one as piping along the long seams. I used Peaches and Cream cotton yarn as the filler. Perfect weight. Then I got a little crazy serging the seams and cut a whopping big hole in one of the side panels. That's my thumb being a little shy and fuzzy peeking out of the hole. I went back up to Fabrics on Mill St. and bought another yard. I parked in front of Sole Mates and couldn't resist going in afterward.



Aren't these the prettiest sandals ever? Dansko's, my all time favorite. I was wearing a brown pair when I bought these. Love.Them.To.Pieces.

I continue to knit mitered squares (I may scream) and the landslide jacket (I already am). That jacket just keeps giving me conniptions. I cannot seem to get the front just right. Must concentrate. The other day, while searching for just the right yarn for my piping, I came across a forgotten skein of Sundara sock yarn (Lenten Rose colorway). finding something like this is like finding a Kugerand at the bottom of your purse. Then Wendy Knits! linked to a charity sock, Guided by Love, that Was.To.Die.For and, well, I have sort of cast on another project.

We have baby birds -both house finches and bluebirds. This is a very assertive bluebird baby. No bug brought by loving but harried parents is getting by him. I've seen two other babies in the background looking frustrated and hungry.





Our berries ripened and were eaten fresh and as sorbet.


We did a little cleaning out of drawers and closets. His pile.



My Pile - and I added a lot more after taking the photo. Do I have more junk or am I more ruthless? We still have a lot more to clean out.

Eye Candy Today


There are bumblebees in this photo, honest. Lavender and artemisia - a lovely low growing type called "Seafoam".


A fern.
A pink rose.

Another type of lavender. It's supposedly "pink". See the bumblebee. Front and center. They just won't hold still.


What is probably the last of the amaryllis for the season.


Amaryllis and daylily at sunset. Love that glow.

Agastache (hyssop) and larkspur. I am particularly fond of this grouping for several reasons. 1) historically it's always been an awkward spot, hot, dry, poor soil, 2) the hyssop, (which overwintered just fine,) was grown from seeds picked from a yard in the bay area, (I have a cascading geranium that is going great guns and putting out fantastic purple flowers by the dozen that is from a snippet snapped off during my Coit Tower/historical tour of SF led by my friend Kate last year), 3) the larkspur - I have no idea where they came from originally but they volunteer every year without fail.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mid 90s is warm. It was 115 last Friday. That is hot. Incredibly hot is when it's 122, and they close the airport, the asphalt melts, sticking to your shoes as you walk across the parking lot.

Looking forward to seeing you.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

It was 103 for a few days here and I was whiny. We have a tiny one-room air conditioner but an open plan house, so we can get the air in one room down to about 88, which feels cool for a while. Ugh. I can't even imagine Suzy's environment! Stay in the A/C!

That skirt is darling, I'm so glad you managed to fix it -- the perfect summer skirt.

Mm, I want some sorbet. Elinor made some strawberry sorbet last night from fresh strawberries.. I can't wait to taste it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home