Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yes, I'm still here.

Sitting and enjoying 76F weather in the middle of January. I hauled hoses around today because the garden was drying out. We turn the sprinkler system off in the winter so the pipes don't freeze. I assume we will at some point be returning to winter.


I even found my camera cable at long last. It doesn't actually seem to make my photos "go" yet but I've put in a request to hubby that he "do something". My new camera crapped out right after the Christmas parade and since it was bought off of EBay there is no warranty. I returned to my old tried and true camera but I had stored it away thinking it wouldn't be getting any use. Ha. I put it away so well I couldn't find most of it.
I've a few photos on my laptop that I like. This is off of the New York Times on-line from an article about an embroidery show. Good crafts are Works of Art and timeless.

I've been knitting up a storm with good but mixed results. I finally took my heart into my hands and used some of the Sundara superwash merino I'd been hoarding...and ran out of yarn near the end the garment. I think I need perhaps another half skein. I've put a plea out for "Pink Granite" on Ravelry but with a lot size of (I think) 7 skeins and a yarn type that she doesn't carry anymore my chances are slim.

I'm busy making Sonnet from Knitty.com for The Enabler's birthday. I am using some Cascade superwash and am very pleased. I've always looked down on Cascade for one reason or another but this is lovely stuff and rather reasonably priced.
I'm working on the second of a pair of simple but colorful socks for myself.
I made hubby a hat from some delicious alpaca in the manly colorway of black. He would like another in...blue.

Speaking of The Enabler, and I was, she recently emailed me a photo of myself from a "few" years ago. Sigh. I remember thinking at the time that I was Really Old and FAT. How we love to torture ourselves. We're never what we think we ought to be.
I'm sitting in her back yard in Billow Vista, LA. She's long since moved but I remember it as being a rather nice back yard though I was always concerned that there was a lot of natural gas just underground - there was a storage place outside the fence at the far end of the yard. I thought it might go BOOM! at any time.
Yes, my youth was wasted on me but I had a hell of a good time wasting it.
I've been making great progress finishing up UFOs. The baby blanket is done. Done. I thought it would never be finished. I know I finished something else but heck if I can remember what it was. I've still got quite a few things on my needles but I'm making progress. My list of "Want to Knit Right Now" keeps growing. I try very hard not to cast on anything new. I fail.
The next big project I plan to do for myself it this lovely Norah Gaughan sweater that I came across on Ravelry. I bought some fantastic Rowan Felted Tweed from The Yarn and Fiber Company and got $10 off. Being a Gansey it uses A.Lot of Yarn. My friend Gail turned me on to it and I just had to have some for myself. I've been trying to stick with stash but just didn't have 2300 yards of one thing.

I'm sewing a vest. Right now I'm trying to remember the alterations I made before I cut into the really expensive fabric. I've knit up a dog sweater for Omar. I am going to attempt putting a steek into the top and put in a zipper. I think I've got it figured out. The sweater is from some leftover Sheep One wool. I wanted to make the little legs out of a lighter yarn and managed to find some Paton's acrylic in a very close match of the colorway. I know that mixing yarn types is a no-no but I'm going to live dangerously.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omar, being the fine fellow that he is, will be more than happy to live dangerously right along with you.

You've also sewn several - were they pajama pants? Nice, soft snuggly flannels, if I remember correctly.

The Enabler, aka, moi! is waiting with baited breath (minnows, I think) to see pictures of the sweater in progress.

No pressure! Great curiousity!

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the picture I thought it must be some young relative. I guess that is about what our younger selves become. I also looked fab and didn't appreciate it a "few" years back and remember not appreciating my mother's comment (made frequently back then) that "youth was wasted on the young." I'm sure I will still look back in a few years and think about how young I am now and sigh. It is all relative.

I'm glad you are back to provide some diversion from my servitude to the company.

Love, Mia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home