Friday, July 10, 2009

Sixty on Sat.

Oh yes, the big 60 is nearly here. Birthdays ending with a zero are always pretty amazing. I can't complain though. I'm healthy (though wearing an elbow brace for tennis/knitting elbow), and have a lot of my brain cells still function. If only they would fire all together...


I am still working on the Pink Mimosa. I poke at it now and again. As a palate freshener I knit this cute little number...and I did it backwards from the pattern. I really must get in the habit of reading patterns before I start off. It still works just fine (I should have cast on all and knit it up - I cast on the width and knit the length). It's for my cousin who lives in Parry Sound Ontario where it gets Very Cold in the winter. She made a strategic error of saying she liked the mitered hanging dish towel I made for her from the second Mason-Dixon book.
Knit on size 5 needles using di.vo Autunno from stash. I seem to use this yarn a lot. It shades gradually from one color to the next in a lovely way. It's soft and nice next to your skin. The button is from stash and since I could not measure my cousin's neck I attached it with a plastic cotter pin so it can easily be moved. I like this pattern so much I'm sure I'll knit it again for myself.
Life at Chez Earin's has been rather busy. I went over to Phoenix for a week to visit with The Enabler and we then went to Tempe for a three day sew-in. This was my second year and I had just as much fun, probably more than the year before. But man, Phoenix is HOT. When knitting I worked on the second Monkey sock.
We sewed, and sewed, and sewed. Suzy finished things. I tried and came close. We were down to 70 or so people this year from the 80+ from the year before. Sewing just isn't having a renewal like knitting. Did I mention the food? The food, the hotel, the people, everything was fantastic.
After the sew-in we visited and that was so nice. I just don't get enough time to just hand around with The Enabler and her husband.
Fast Track
After I came home I went to the sidecar races in Auburn. This involves people on motorcycles going Very, Very, FAST around a dirt track. There were also races where people were on modified motorcycles with a platform where the sidecar would be. On this, a person called a "Monkey" hangs on for dear life as they proceed to go like manics around the track. The Monkey shift around, bottoms nearly touching the ground using their weight to help go faster around turns. Yes, there was "spillage". It's on the dangerous side.



Hubby and friends enjoying the preshow.


Then there was the Fourth of July and a BBQ on Sunday. I was pooped (and very well fed).

The Garden


Otis looking very color coordinated.


Rudbeckia

The flowers and the vegetables are in full swing. We are eating figs, green beans, squash (pumpkin/zukes), several types of plums, basil and other herbs, cukes, and just a couple of tomatoes so far.

Yet another shot of the Japanese Maple tree.


Coleus


Hostas, unknowns.



California fuchsia with Japanese grass in the background.



Immature pumpkin.


There was a heatwave while I was gone and the yellow zuke went crazy.
Omar is almost certain I'm not going to disappear again and has stopped following me at zero distance (I had a wet spot on the back of my calf from his nose). Now it's time to wrap up my summer UFO's and get ready for the Fall.

4 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

The Bristol Neckwarmer is quite pretty, backwards or no! I love scarves and neckwarmers in theory, but hate them in practice because I don't like anything warm around my neck. So I've only knit two scarves, ever, and they were for friends. I should knit more. It's hard for me to realize someone will like them, that's how much I dislike them!

I envy your fresh figs...

Otis is so handsome. Silly boy.

You do realize that saying "a zucchini went crazy" is redundant, right? ;-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous The Enabler said...

Green Toes! Green Toes! Sparkly green toes! It was such a treat to have you visit, and am glad you enjoyed the sew in.

What Madame MaryBird hasn't said is that she was drawn from the hat - and gets into Sew-In 2010 for FREE!

Lucky ducky! Lucky ducky!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Sissie said...

Earin - I just got you link from....Thunderpaws. Love your blog. You guys make mine look puny. I am so glad you were the winner of the drawing for next year SewIn. See ya - Sylvia

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Leslie said...

Earin,
What a lovely spot in CA. I am envious. It must be great to knit or sew and look out at the landscape. Beautiful.
Your blog is wonderful. Sylvia looked at Suzy's and then told me that you have one. So I peeked.
Great job!
Leslie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home