Thursday, July 30, 2009

THE SKY IS FALLING

Yesterday we returned home from a short RV trip up into the mountains north of Truckee, Nevada. There were pretty lakes, lovely sprays of overflow at the side of the dam, lots of trees. Even at elevation it wasn't all that cool. So, imagine our surprise when the skies opened up for a summer storm (not unheard of) and it hailed. Not once but twice. I mean, that is just weird.





A medium sized husband for scale purposes.

Omar is a good traveler. He's not always sure he's having fun but he is always happy to be with us. When not casting interesting shadows he likes to nest on the bed in the RV. We left the cats at home with the a/c on, internet access, direct TV, and multiple bowls of food and water.




I finally finished the hooded baby blanket/towel. Lots and lots of mindless garter stitch. Knit on size 7's from no real pattern (cast on 2, increase every other row along the ends until you like the size, then decrease) using Sirdar Denim Sport Aran. I think I have enough of the paler blue leftover (and some white in stash) to make the sneakers that I found on Valerie's blog. They are so very cute!


I made a quick trip down to the bay area for a variety of reasons. I met the recipient of my baby knitting efforts. Say hello to Sammy, he's all of two weeks old and his parents are thrilled to pieces to have him. I was pretty smitten myself.



I have been so tired of the Pink Mimosa (I swear it is haunted - it unravels at night) that I knit the left front of the Classic Silk Open Cardi using some lovely Sundara Silky Aran in Sweet Orange Blossom just to have something else to knit. I've had issues in the past with yarn blooming on me when washed so I thought I'd knit a whole piece, measure it, wash and block, then measure again. So far it seems to have grown .25 stitches per inch. I love the yarn, I love the elegant simplicity of the pattern. Now, if I can the thing to actually fit me we'll be in business.




There has been the usual summer activity of making pickles and jams. I use a mandolin to slice the cucumbers and I admit it, I'm deathly afraid of the thing. One drift off into mental space and you're missing a couple of fingertips on your right hand. I am rather fond of my fingertips. We do a lot together. I don't talk on the phone, play music or have anyone around to distract me when I'm slicing and dicing.





Monday I headed out to Marysville (30 to 45 minutes away) to have my annual visit with my dermatologist. He used to be 5 minutes away but has closed his local office. On the way back a stone was thrown up and this happened to my windshield. All together now... BUMMER!!!


The upside is that it's not all that expensive to repair (yet just under my deductible) and the guy will actually come to my house and do the work.













































































































































2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Suzy said...

You are very fortunate that nothing else happened with the freeway rock. They can be so dangerous!

Sammy looks very cute - almost as cute as kittens. Shhhh! Don't tell the Hellboys I said that.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Beautiful photos — love the sort of chiaroscuro one of Omar!

Hooded baby blanket/towel is darling. So simple but so useful. Hope they send you a pic of the baby wrapped up in it. They look awfully happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home