Saturday, August 21, 2010

THE MAN FROM W.A.S.P.





The pest control man came promptly and relieved us of our wasps. A very nice man who posed for photos and even held Opal while I signed the form. We stood there taking phots as he prepared to douse the nest. I liked the part where he paused then yelled, "RUN!!" and believe me, we scampered back like frightened rabbits into the house.
He was quite impressed, said it was the second largest nest he'd ever seen. That's us, never do anything halfway. I am now able to wander around my garden without fear of being stung to death. Whew.



In all the excitement I forgot that I had done some stealth sewing back when I was in couch cushion construction mode. Two little cushions for two friends. The chairs at knit night are awfully hard. For some reason I cannot get the photo to rotate. Notice the thoughtful little loop for ease of carrying.

In the world of knitting I am on to the last niece item, wristwarmers. I started out with one pattern, which was cool and kicky but alas, just didn't group well with the other things. I switched over to the pattern on the left and to tell you the truth, I'm still not feeling the love. I am also making mistakes all over the place. No.1 needles, cables, TV watching, failing eyesight, cats desperate to knead, lack of a functioning brain. I think I have to suck it up though and just do them. Time is running short.
IN THE GARDEN
We have grapes. And beans, melons, a pitiful amount of tomatoes (still enough to make a fresh salsa last night...yum!), and lots and lots of squash both hard and soft shell. Do I have photos? No.
I am also just about to pick the last of the plums. I always feel so sad eating the last plum. I will have to wait a full year before I can eat another.

I had some pickling syrup leftover from making cucumber pickles yesterday (did I mention lots of cukes too?) so I used it to make pickled eggs. A first. Local eggs, no salmonella. Is it just me or do they look like Alien Spores?


Opal says, This basket smells funny.













3 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Suzy said...

Alien eggs waiting to hatch. They shall erupt and take over the kitchen. Hopefully they will leave it clean and sparkly when they depart.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Now doesn't Suzy have a good idea... I want to grow a crop of aliens that clean my kitchen! They can get rid of the ant infestation while they're at it.

The yarn for those wristwarmers is really pretty, but I can understand the patterns just not working well for you. I like the ones on the left better, fwiw.

GRAPES mmmmmmm

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger The Swamp Fox said...

W.A.S.P. is insidious. Their agents post for pictures and "get rid of" the nest to gain your trust. I would recommend an immediate sweep for other types of "bugs".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home