Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Bats and Blankets

I continue to work on my various projects - never quite completing anything but I'm very close on this sock. Since the kitten can’t run around with the other animals for a while I’ve taken to sitting with him in the guestroom and knitting. He attacks my yarn and I get a few rows done every few hours. He sharpened his teeny tiny razor sharp claws on my ankle today and that was a lot of fun. I am a little shredded.


I am thinking that the men’s sock will be too small for my husband. After hearing that I had blogged that he was less than enthusiastic about getting a pair of handmade socks he has done a 180 turn and is now so very happy. Uh huh. I tried the sock on him and I don’t like the fit. The pattern is from The Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting book –"IBH’s Toasty Socks". I didn’t bother with stripes since I pulled something out of my stash, which I think is "Mountain Colors" but I can’t be sure. I'm trying to be better about keeping yarn and labels together. The pattern is very flexible so I should be able to change needles and get a larger sock for my big-footed hubby. I was nervous about the color to begin with so off to the yarn store we go (the pain of it all). I managed to not notice that you switch from knitting K2, P2 for a few inches to K6, P2 and did it for 7. Oh well, think FLEXIBLE. So far I’ve turned the heel with a few "adjustments". I had a one too many stitches on my pickup but I just knit two together the next time around and that has worked fine. I doubt that anyone is going to take a magnifying glass and scrutinize my sock heel. Then again…

Recently my friend Kate crocheted a blanket for a pregnant friend. Her friend is a Goth so things were either black or other dark colors. She not only made the blanket but also a really lovely panel with a bat, Yes! A Bat. It is so cool that I asked her if I could put it on my blog.



I also picked more blackberries and they went from this...

to this. Yum.

And of course, more garden photos. The first is of some Gaillardia, (blanketflower). I grew the burgundy ones from seed last year. Soon the Russian sage will bloom and there will be a nice contrast of gray foliage with blue flowers mixed in. These plants are all pretty droughts tolerant which is a real plus.

Then there are some really pretty low growing Rudbeckia.

And a better shot of a pink penstemon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home