Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lassen

What can I say? It was wonderful. A nearly deserted National Park, full of lots of snow, lovely trails, breath taking trails (literally – puff, puff, puff), deer scampering up steep hillsides at dusk, you name it. We had a marvelous time. The new snowshoes are a dream. Light, easy to maneuver, easy to put on and take off. A great buy.

We hauled ourselves up this on our first afternoon.

The snow pack is heavy and it's a lot of work to clear the road. It's dangerous too. People die doing this work.

For a two day trip I packed 6 types of needles, three ongoing projects, two knitting books, (plus three regular books to read and several magazines), scissors, two crochet hooks, several other knitting odds and ends all stuffed in two knitting baskets.

This morning I hauled myself up another ridge (hubby said, that’s too steep and dangerous but I was determined to do it and I did) and once I got there I paid homage to the Yarn Harlot with this.

It’s my first attempt at a baby sock from a pattern I pulled off the web. It called for using size 5 needles. I did a swatch, it didn’t match the gauge. I did another swatch with size 4’s, still not enough stitches but I knitted anyway. It’s ugly but I did it. I had a couple of problems. But. I. Made. It. Work. I even knitted a second one on size 3’s and got a much better result. Did I pack a needle to sew the toe? Huh? Did I work on any of my ongoing projects? Of course not.

Omar did pretty well. He's an unhappy traveler and that translates into him running a little circle from lap to lap. I did a lot of my knitting over, under and around his little body. Otis slept, pooped (PeeU! what a smell!), demanded to be held, ate, ate some more, pooped more and exhibited cat behavior such as this. He has a teeny tiny little layer of fat now. He thought the sock was interesting.

He has also started doing this of which we are thankful.

Tomorrow will show me what the garden has been up to since I left. Then my friend Lynda will be here. Yea!

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Ahhh... lovely pictures of the snow. I feel peaceful just looking at them!

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Love the sock photos. Next time I visit, I want you to show me how to knit a heel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home