Thursday, October 26, 2006

SEWING vs KNITTINGI have been working on sewing some fine wale corduroy pants recently. I do a little knitting in the evening - I'm finishing up the second of a pair of the Irish hiking wristwarmers and I think they will be the last with this pattern.

Sewing and knitting are really so very different. Sewing gives you a faster feedback. Zip, your fabric flys across the machine. You whomp it with a hot iron if it gives you problems. This can make you feel a whole lot better when things aren't working out quite right. With knitting it's a long term (in most cases) committed relationship. You do a few rows, you frog (or not). Each and every stitch goes by. You can whip out useful things in a flash while sewing or you can pull your hair out when trying to learn a new technique for putting a zipper into a pair of pants. Actually the insertion of the zipper was easy. I've paid my dues learning zippers a long time ago. It's the overlapping fly that gave me such a headache. Despite being faster than knitting it's taking a lot longer than I had anticipated. BUT I'm having fun in a patchy, balding sort of way.

I finally came to the realization that I never really need to take my swift and ball winder down. I have the room. I put it on an old hospital tray that goes up and down and has wheels so I can move it around if it's in the way. It''s nice having a studio. Studios are supposed to be messy.
Omar often sleeps like he's a cat. He also has a great guilty look. And he should. I discovered this morning that he has been chewing on the power cord that goes to my laptop. See Earin be annoyed. See Omar get a dose of A/C current (not really). Thankfully, the cord still works.

EYE CANDY FRIDAY
Me mums are coming into their own. Cor blimey! as I used to say when I was a schoolgirl in Worthing, Sussex England. (Just for a year but I acquired such an accent. People asked me where I was from for the next 20 years.)
And the Fuyu persimmons are getting closer to being ready to eat. The leaves are such a wonderful mixture of oranges, reds, yellows and a touch of green.

2 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

WOW the mums are fab. Seriously good eye candy (the persimmons too!).

If you can't read a sewing pattern to save your life — I always get stuck half-way through, so I have several half-finished dresses (from about 15 pounds ago, so they wouldn't even fit if I finished them now) — sewing is frustrating, while knitting is rewarding... I envy you your sewing chops!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

Those are the prettiest mums I've ever seen. I had no idea they could be so exotic -- they look like colorful little windmills. I also like the bee.

Our cat Sylve got really excited the first time my husband attached a mouse to his laptop (the trackpad didn't work well enough for the games he wanted to play). It was a toy! On a string! She was so excited that she grabbed the cord and bit it. Just one tooth went through but that was enough. I told everyone I could find that "Sylvie killed her first mouse," but my husband was less than thrilled. The replacement mouse was cordless. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home