Monday, October 16, 2006

SUMMER'S GONE AWAY

The evenings are cooler now and we're happy to have a little fire to take the chill off. It's getting time to spend more of the day indoors. In the meantime I'm busy cutting back dead and dying flowers and rearranging some plants with the hopes that they will be happier in their new spot next year.

I've made some little bands with a bit of embroidery for my friend Lynda who now has a metal plate in her wrist after falling off her bike a few months ago. I think they might be a bit large for her. They feel pretty nice on my wrists though a little tight to get over my hands. Lynda's wrists are an inch smaller. If they slide around I'll just make her another pair. They knit up fast. I used some of my new Autunno and a plain seed stitch. The yarn is incredibly soft and light. I'm working on another pair of the wristwarmers/fingerless gloves to match the scarf I made for the Irish Hiking Scarf KAL. They need to be finished by early Nov. (they're a gift along with the scarf) and I'd like to make another pair for a visiting girlfriend by the end of the weekend but I need some black wool. The one black yarn I have in my stash isn't soft enough. I'm being sorely tempted by the red sweater KAL. Alas, I have too many things on the needles right now to start a red sweater. Christmas is coming and I have things that need my attention.A while back I whipped up a batch of Castile soap for Lynda's birthday. It takes six weeks to cure which is twice what my regular soap takes. I just have to trim the mold edges off and scrape down the backs and it's done. I'll keep one bar to see how it turned out. I keep a record of all my batches so I can adjust for the next round. I used some Juicy Pear essential oils for the fragrance and it smells pretty nice.

I've made contact with both the person I'm spoiling for Secret Pal 9 and the person spoiling me. It's fun to be learning about them. After twisting my brain into a couple of knots I've a few ideas of what to do for my SP9.

This is what the sky looked like around 6 pm tonight when you looked north. There are often times large clouds hanging over the mountains.
Over a year ago I started cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and drawers. Even though we haven't lived here all that long we pretty much just unpacked and threw stuff into closets and cupboards. I like to go through the house periodically and cull. I'm determined not to die with a house full of crap. The wood was unfinished so I decided to paint things in a cheerful manner.
The other day I was having "one of those days". I broke coffee cups, I spilled things, I stubbed my toes. I managed to get milk down in the drawer I keep foil and plastic wrap so it seemed like a good time to clean and paint. I still have about half the kitchen to do. Slowly we turn, inch by inch, step by step...

4 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

The soaps are gorgeous!

I like the colors you used in those wrist warmers. what was the yarn?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

It's the Autunno which is a merino. I am in *love* with it. The store had just got it in and I pounced. I'm planning on going back to see if I can snap up more. I just bought one skein of three different colors to try out. No colorway name just a lot number. I used some of my Rowan wool cotton for the embroidery. Soft just doesn't describe it. It feels like air.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh - am I ever a lucky girl! the soap is beautiful and the wristlet charming and ever so much more fashionable than my ace bandage.
...and, yes I do read your blog even if it takes me awhile. Have a wonderful weekend

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

What a great idea! I never thought of painting the inside of cupboards or drawers, but I love it. It's such a cheerful thing to see when you open it.

I tack cards and postcards I like to the inside panel of kitchen cabinets and the linen closet door. The images are little hidden treasures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home