Saturday, June 02, 2007

OF MUGGLES, MITERS AND MOTORCYCLES


We staggered back home around midnight last night. The hot spring was lovely. What not to like? A large pool with hot flowing water and a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains. Available day or night. There were also two small ponds full of goldfish and various types of birds. Yellow winged black birds, coots, mud hens (which might be the same thing as coots), magpies (with a call/noise that sounded for all the world like a woman who has had just a bit too much to drink and is having a very good time), swallows dipping their wings into the surface of the water and at night there were owls, bats and night hawks. There was also a lone duck with a very bright copper colored head who I have yet to identify. Did I mention the full moon? Not great for watching the night sky but lovely to bathe under or just sit around and talk. I did a little swimming in the top pond but admit to being a little creeped out when the underwater growth would touch me.

I knitted on the way there, I knitted while there and I knitted on the way back. The pullover is growing. I went up a size not wanting a really tight garment and it's a bit on the large size now. The yarn (DBliss Cathay) is lovely but I am having some problems with splitting. Since it is mostly cotton the unevenness of my stitches is glaring. We pray for miracles during the blocking phase. I am having fun with the Lavold panel which is placed across the back. I'm making mistakes but it is taking shape and I'm "flowing" with it.
When we headed for home I was tired of the pullover so I started my first miter. I have/had been working on a log cabin blanket. It's nice but nothing to write home about. I keep seeing miters over at Mason-Dixon and I have been seduced. I'm experimenting with double stranded RY Cashsoft and thinking that my lap blanket will be done in just two colors. Subject to change without notice of course.

I had fun riding my dual sport.


This turned out to be the swan song of a friend of ours. He's been riding most of his life and he loves it with a passion. He's been suffering from hand/neck/arm problems and has decided that he must give it up. It's a big shift to saying "I ride in these mountains" to "I used to ride...."

Although he's a great guy he's a Muggle. They were all Muggles. When asked what he would do now that he has quit riding motorcycles he replied, "...this and that (with a humorous but slightly sarcastic twist) ...and take up knitting...." I believe that at that point I threatened to beat him up. Muggles. Ha! I offered to teach him knitting every hour or so for the remainder of our trip.
There was a group ride which I did not take part in. These fellows have been riding for years and I'm a newbie. Too much testosterone too. Hubby came back from this with a gashed knee.Go get stitches? No way. Play softball this morning? Why not. First sign of infection I'm tossing him over my shoulder and taking him to the emergency room I don't think we need any sort of discussion.

What does deserve a discussion is this article in the latest Economist. I like the Economist. It has other points of view than the American one. Being an American and living in California it's more than easy to think it's all about you (it is but I'm being polite here). I'm eating my salad and reading along and I come across an article about scrapbooking. Big Bucks. Big Business.

Towards the end of the article I come across this:
"Perhaps Ms Stewart's arrival on the scene will earn scrapbooking a little more respect. Other crafts, after all, are taken seriously. The Whitney Museum of American Art in New York featured an exhibit of quilters a few years ago. Knitters click away on the subway. Sublime Stitching, based in Austin, Texas, sells embroidery patterns featuring pirates and pieces of sushi. True, a preoccupation with the relative merits of various types of decorative sticky tape is not for everyone. But a well made scrapbook is more impressive than yet another of those itchy scarves."
I am mentally writing my letter to the editor and hope to have it written out and emailed soon. I feel like making a noise. What about you?






1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you need to give the Economist a bit of slack. After all, they are Brits, home of the wool tweed, and other types of not-quite-thoroughly-carded wools, so perhaps all they're used to is scratchy scraves from Great Aunt Hortensia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home