Friday, June 29, 2007

SUNSHINE I mentioned yesterday that I was feeling a bit blah about my knitting as of late. Then the mail brought this. I knew that Sundara was about to take a much needed vacation so I hadn't expected it so soon. Dear me. It's like liquid sunshine. I feel much more cheerful and am busy swatching away. I even purchased my first Rowan pattern on-line. It's actually rather non-rowan-esque which is what I like about it. When it is emailed to me I will share.
Seven skeins of superwash, worsted weight "Sunflower over Chamomile". Yarn diet be damned.


The photo of the swatch is a bit closer to the actual color of the yarn. It has subtle shifts in yellows and orangy-yellows. I am thrilled. (Thrilled!!) What to make, what to make. I'll have to take a good look at the Rowan pattern to see if it's suitable. If not, who knows.

Suzy the Enabler pointed out that for my needle storage holders my numbers wrap around rather than starting up from the back. I decided that it worked better for me this way. I'm still thinking of how to deal with my circulars and how to store the other odds and ends, stitch markers, rubber tips etc.


I have some RY classic cashsoft on order so I can make more mitered squares. In the meantime I've been going through the Mason*Dixon Knitting and looked at this (the inside of my front door with an odd little window)...


...and this. A very cool knitted curtain. I'm wondering if this can all come together and justify my buying some $20 a skein wet spun linen in lovely natural browns and greens. I am thinking of using a small manzanita branch as the curtain rod. Just thinking out loud here.




In our continuing attempts for world peace, a tidier house, and less dependence on foreign oil hubby has built a solar timer for the watering system in the lower garden. I have no idea how it works other than it does. Hubby is very clever.

I made soap yesterday. I make a type of complexion soap that doesn't dry my face out. It has lots of oils (hazelnut, olive, palm, coconut, wheat germ, sweet almond).

I made strawberry/mint/raspberry gelato. It is yummy. Soon the peaches will be ripe. Peach gelato. To.Die.For.

I made up a bouquet of roses, gladiolas and blanketflowers. It was a good day.







































5 Comments:

At 4:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The color for the yarn is so lovely.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the Sundara yellow. It does, indeed, look like liquid sunshine. Almost enough to brush off my terminally rusty knitting and give it a go. Note, I said almost!

The solar timer is way cool. It got me to thinking about using something similar here. Except we water a night (less evaporation), which would require both the solar cell, some sort of battery to store the power to drive the timer when the sun was down...which made my head hurt!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

LOVE the numbers on your needle caddy. I never would have thought of using different styles.

The knitting group is meeting on Thursday (tomorrow) this week, I think I'll go. If you're interested, let me know!

Sharon

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Wow. I came THIS || close to buying that exact Sundara yarn. I agonized over it for a half-day, and then decided I would leave it, because I have toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much yarn and I was a little uncertain about my job. I'm so extremely glad that you got it. I get to watch you knit it, and that's honestly just as good. (Plus, I had no idea what I'd do with it; I cannot wear yellow.) Can't wait to see more!!

I love the solar timer. We have solar panels for electricity, but there is much more to do (including solar hot water). We got lazy after the hard work on the roof!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Elinoire said...

A couple weeks ago, my husband and I turned a giant plastic cup full of change into an amazon.com certificate (via a Coinstar machine) and then a few days after *that* a lovely new ice cream maker attachment for our Kitchenaid mixer arrived. Mmmm. So far my favorite creations have been apricot sorbet and plum ice cream. Mr. Elinoire votes for the malted milk ice cream.

I can tell I'm not going to get as much canning in this summer. The lure of the ice cream maker is tooooooo strong.

Can I have your recipe for peach gelato?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home