Sunday, September 05, 2010

MISSION DELORES



I recently watched Vertigo which features Mission Dolores so I asked Kate if we could go visit the next time I came down. Sure, she said!



As their website says:

Mission Dolores has always had a central place in the religious, civic, and cultural life of San Francisco. Misión San Francisco de Asís was founded June 29, 1776, under the direction of Father Junipero Serra and is both the oldest original intact Mission in California and the oldest building in San Francisco. Today, the Mission Dolores Parish comprises both the Basilica and the Old Mission.



The new building on the right didn't quite hold up as well as the original mission after the 1906 earthquake. 4' adobe walls are pretty sturdy.



There is a lovely graveyard attached to the mission with a large statue of Father Junipero Serra. The literature says he was a nice guy, modest, kind etc. I'd like to think the artist caught the Father giving some thought of what happened to all the native Indians that became little more than slave labor for the church. From a population of 300,000 to 20,000 in only a few years. Food for thought indeed.





GARDEN STUFF



Arriving back home after having my fill of missions and museums I harvested the Concord grapes to make wine. This will be my first try. I do plum almost yearly but never grapes.


The garden is winding down fast. I'm hoping for a warm fall so there will be a chance of more tomatoes. It wasn't a good year for them but everything else did so well I won't complain.





Kate, winning hands down the giving of the absolutely LAST birthday present, gifted me with a very cool kitchen implement, a cup that is really a colander. Perfect for rinsing a handful of berries, or in this case, some cherry tomatoes.


OLIVE



This particular Squeaker has been seen napping behind easy chairs on bookshelves. She recently learned that if the bedroom closets are left open she can have a lot of fun sliding the bottom drawers. You will hear rollers going in and out, in and out. Or, you'll walk back into the bedroom and see various drawers partly open.


Opal has shown no interest in drawers. She however, figured out that it was not only possible to open the sliding screen door but that it was actually rather easy. None of our other cats, either past or present, ever did that. Since it is still rather hot, it's nice to have the door open with the screen shut so Something Had to Be Done. Being somewhat bigger brained AND with opposable thumbs we now use a gate that hubby built to keep Omar secured in the kitchen area when he was a pupster with the desire to go potty anywhere it took his fancy. Turn it on its side and wedge it in and for now at least, Opal is flummoxed. She's thinking about it though.

KNITTING


The niece knitting is done! After multiple tries I settled on a simple pattern for the wristwarmers and completely spaced photographing them before I mailed the package off. Now I'm working hard to finish up the scarves for the upcoming Celtic Festival. THEN knitting for myself at long last. Okay, I admit it, I'm likely to sneak some personal knitting in regardless. Just.Can't.Help.Myself.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I always have a mental disconnect at the lovely, peaceful Missions when I think about the Native Americans who were just devastated by them. Yet they're still such lovely places.

Opal and Olive are hilarious. You should write a book about their antics.

That cup-colander thing is genius. I'd use it every day for single-serve fruit and tomatoes.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Suzy said...

Opal is contemplating how to scale the block, and open the door. I just know she is. Soon, she'll get it figured out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home