Friday, September 10, 2010

NAKED THROUGH AND THROUGH



Yes Lene, they really are called "Naked Ladies". Also know as Belladonna lily; Latin name, Amaryllis belladona . The greenery comes up in the spring then dies back. In late summer the foliage free flowers poke through the soil and bloom. They're rather hardy souls with a great scent. I've never seen them anywhere but California. My Sunset guide says they are native to South Africa. For me they are a flower of my childhood.




Fall is now here, practically from one day to the next we slid from heat to cool nights and shorter days. I am mostly seeing little tableau consisting of a few flowers here and there.




CRANKING

With less than two weeks before the Celtic Festival I am knitting up a storm trying to finish up my shawls. I think I am one of the world's slowest knitters. Never did master the tricky style of doing it all with my left hand. I toss with my right making each and every stitch a major event. Another one! Whooo Hooo!






CRACK OF DOOM



Photo lifted from the MSN homepage, probably totally illegal. Sorry.

I logged on last night and read that the area around my friend Kate had exploded. A large gas main had ruptured. Much freaking out occurred until she called me back, safe and sound and on her way to stay with a friend. Her entire condo complex (and several blocks around her) had been evacuated. Talk about living the exciting life.
The Squeakers slept through it all. Probably dreaming of the day I'll get around to sewing up another sleeping pad.

4 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Wusel's... said...

What a wonderful cat photography.
:-)))

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger The Swamp Fox said...

So much for nothing ever happening in San Bruno. What a night.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Aw SQUEEEEEEAKS. They are so ridiculously cute. Well, all your animals are.

Glad Kate is okay. That was seriously scary news.

They have Naked Ladies in Western Australia too, but, confusingly, they call them Easter lilies (we call something entirely different Easter lilies).

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Suzy said...

The sisters O area just adorable. So sweet when they're asleep. Even in the Fall disarray, your garden is beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home