Friday, October 15, 2010

MAIL CALL!

A very large envelope showed up in the mail this week. Friend Valerie (recovering from surgery so wish her well!) had made herself a vest that did not fit. I thought it might fit me so up it came from San Diego. Alas, it did not. But! It was a pretty good fit for hubby. He will get a lot of use from it when the cold weather comes. It's coming, right? We've flipped back into heat again which is just strange for mid October.

I am making good progress on my Mama Bear sweater. I've got one sleeve done and a bit on the second. It's a very nice pattern and I love the Malabrigo worsted a great deal. I think I will get a lot of use out of this garment. The colorway is very apt, SFO Sky. If you lived in or around San Francisco you'd see the sky be this color most of the summer. To quote Mark Twain, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Be wise, carry a coat when you visit and a scarf and hat.


We have company from Boston coming in two weeks. Well, actually more in the realm of visitors since we are only meeting up "in town" for a few hours for lunch and a hike. Hubby and I drove out to Auburn to scope out a possible hike. We did one and a bit. The first was in full sun and not very interesting with too much traffic noise despite being not far from a river so we turned tail and headed back towards the shade. The second went out to an old limestone quarry that was much more to our liking.
Along with a great view of the river there were the remains of some quarry buildings and a tunnel that I assume goes far back into the mountainside.


There was an almost icy breeze blowing out behind the gate. We stood there for some time trying to cool down.
Hubby pointed out what a good picture this would make. What we think was probably a loading dock in front of the quarry entrance. That's a fig tree to the upper left.


There was some nice wildlife.



It was 90F/32C and we were well toasted. A very small dog was happy to finally get back to the car and snooze on the way home. Never fear, I had his water bowl with me along with nice doggie snacks.
GARDEN HOO HA


Yet another photo of the pineapple sage. Can you blame me?

Probably the last red rose.

Do not fall asleep. The Pod Creatures from The Invasion of the Body Snatches will surely get you. A seed pod (or two) from a climbing vine, Akebia quinata. My trusty Sunset guide says the fruit is edible. Yeah, right. Let me know, I'll mail them to you.


If you were here you would hear me laughing. I just turned around because I saw something out of the corner of my eye and it is yet another lizard looking for a way out of this cat infested hellhole. They are everywhere! Darting back under the fridge, on screens trying desperately to get out, under the stove. Some have tails, some do not. Some are alive, some are not. It's a jungle here.

3 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Anonymous sz said...

Pod jam? Pod jelly? Maybe feed it to company you wish would leave?

Invasion of the iPod Snatchers. No, wait, those would be technoholics.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Love the color of that Malabrigo! I am eager to try Malabrigo -- one of these days, when I knit through a *little* more of my ridiculously large stash...

That lizard picture is classic. It's pretty hard not to laugh, even though you have to feel sorry for the fella. We have a whole colony of tailless Western Fence Lizards living in our front entry garden, as that's where we free them once we get them out of the cat's clutches. They don't seem to venture far from there after that -- maybe they've had enough adventure for one lifetime.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Once again, your photography is wonderful! I love the photo of the gate. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home